Advice Needed On Unwanted Behaviours

Guest Stucker

Guest Stucker

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to greyhounds. We adopted our 3 year old boy 2 months ago and he seems to be settling well with us although we are experiencing some unwanted behaviour. He sleeps in the kitchen/dinning room area and also has access to the consevatory where the back door is open during the day. He also comes in the sitting room when we are in there. Yesterday afternoon he went in the sitting room and pooed in the middle of the floor whilst the back door was open and he'd only been back from a walk for an hour. A couple of hours later I saw him circling again so went to usher him out of the back door. He wouldn't go and started to make like he was going to sit on his cover then proceeded to wee all over it even though the back door was open just feet away. Yesterday was by far the worst but we have had other instances where he has urinated by the front door when the back door has been wide open and he has only just come back from a walk. I don't believe he is marking his territory as he is neutured and they are large wees. 90% of the time he will go in the garden or on a walk. He also hates being left alone and often barks and crys when we are out or early on a morning and he has also recently started to scratch the door. He gets walked 3 or 4 times a day and has plenty of toys to try and occupy him whilst he is alone. Other than overnight he is not usually left longer than 4 hours at a time. We are wondering about trying him in a crate. Does anyone have any suggestions on any of these issues?

It sounds like he has an issue with the back door or the conservatory for some reason. Does he go through that area on his own when you are there, or do you have to take him through? Is there anything that moves or makes noise out there that might have scared him, or anything that might spook him outside the conservatory (in the yard), like neighboring dogs, or even foxes? Even birds or bees can spook some dogs.

I don't know if it's what's happening here, but territory marking can absolutely happen in neutered males, and in large quantities. While you try other things, make sure you've throughly cleaned where he's peed with an enzyme based cleaner, in case that's what's going on.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.