Alkaline Urine

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

My non grey was dx with Lyme (he was given abx) so I took his urine sample in to make sure the Lyme hadn't caused any kidney problems which apparently it hasn't. Turns out that his urine Ph was 8.5 had struvite crystals and protein 2+. I have noticed for a long time that his pee was turning the grass yellow. He is on a home made diet (meat/veg/supplements) and this is the first time since I adopted him (9y ago) that the urine was tested so I have no idea how long this has been going on. I have been so worried that he tested positive for Lyme (no symptoms) and unfortunately a C6 was not done so will get that done in 6 months. brit

Edited by brit1

Guest brit1

thanx, so its a different test? I have to take back another sample in 2 weeks as they put him on a cranberry/vitC etc supplement. brit

What's concerning is they found protein in the urine--that's a red flag for positive Lyme dogs-not sure why your vet wasn't concerned. Also don't understand why they are waiting 6 months to run the C6.

Regarding the urine-a culture really should be run off of a clean sample-meaning from a direct draw from the bladder.

Did your dog aleady start antibiotics?

Our 2 year old girl was just taken to the vet with similar issues (8.5 pH, crystals--suspected to be struvite, WBCs/RBCs, bacteria, and thickened bladder walls from chronic inflammation), but no protein. She was put on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory analgesics, and a prescription diet for urinary tract issues. All of this following a sterile urinalysis and we have to go back 10-14 days following the start of antibiotics for another sterile urinalysis. I would highly recommend a sterile draw so that you know if there are bacteria that could be causing the damage. It is a quick procedure and could rule something more serious out in less than an hour.