Question About Bruising

cristar

Two years ago our girl had to have an anal gland removed. She came through the surgery well but developed a lot of bruising on her back end. About 3 days later she started passing blood through her urine. That lasted a couple days and was gone.

Two weeks ago she went in to have 6 hemangiosarcoma spots removed and her whole abdomen turned dark purple. Again, about 4 days later the bruising started going away but the blood in her urine showed up again. As of now it's starting to taper off, very slowly. One day she's fine with no spotting but it seems if we go for a long walk, the next day the spots show up again. If we don't walk, she stays dry with no spotting at all.

My vet thinks she needs tests run again. I'm thinking it has something to do with getting rid of old blood that isn't being re-absorbed.

She's been on cephalexin for 8 days and has 6 days to go. It just seems odd to me that this only happens when parts of her body are badly bruised.

Anybody ever had this happen to their grey?

Something's not adding up. Vaginitis involves mucus discharge. I would still discuss sterile cystitis (stress induced) verses myoglobin (from muscle breakdown--was she anxious and shaking while at the clinic?). I would also have her on Amicar the next time she needs a surgical procedure. She sounds like a post operative greyhound bleeder.

I don't think the two symptoms you described are related.

Heres a well written article on the post operative bleeding syndrome......

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/post-operative-bleeding-followup

Edited by tbhounds

Yes, she was very anxious and vocal during her clinic stay. She was there for 12 hours.

And yes, there is mucous in the discharge too, although it is starting to taper off a little. Changing

from bright red to dark brown.

She was dry all day today and we just got in from our nightly walk - now a little seepage

has started in again.

Thank you for the article.