My Grey Killed A Neighbourhood Cat

Guest CharlesTheGreyt

My neighbor many years ago had a disabled cat he used to let roam, cat had a bad leg and had trouble walking. Well, the cat got in my fenced yard before i saw it and my galgo, Valor killed it. I went to the neighbor to tell him about this and he basically said, that's nature. He then told me he had recently run over his pet bunny (which also roamed the neighborhood, a city neighborhood) because he didn't check before he backed out of his driveway. To me that is just irresponsible. I am sorry this happened, it sounds like you are taking precautions to prevent it from happening again.

Guest CharlesTheGreyt

Hi all,

Thanks again for your messages. Went to the vet last night, and they gave Charlie a thorough look-over. It was just superficial wounds - cuts, bites, and bruises. Thankfully, nothing serious to worry about. I picked up some anti-biotics and will most likely be getting a rabies booster. He is still sore, and a bit anxious outside, but much better than the first 24 hours after the incident. He's getting lots of hugs, attention and treats!

I have little useful advice to add, you've gotten so much already that is great, just that I'm very sorry for you, Charlie, and the cat, and I do believe the blame lies completely with the cat's owner.

That said, keeping in mind I'm not Canadian and am unfamiliar with this aspect of your legal system, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable asking for vet bills reimbursement now, but I'd keep photos, vet records, bills, etc. in case the owners ever tried to cause trouble.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

There have been several cats in our extended neighborhoods that have been aggressive towards any moving passersby (humans, dogs, and cats). One cat recently attacked both legs of a human who was walking by on a public sidewalk (far from the cat's owner's house). Deep puncture bites and scratches to the human required professional medical care and took months to heal. Same cat chases any passersby out of his/her home territory, and beyond including crossing a quiet street. That cat's aggressive feline prey behavior has increased over the years due to repeated self-rewards of attacks with captures.

(Young kittens are highly prey driven and often chase anything that moves. Fortunately, as they mature, most cats learn to avoid larger animals like dogs, but some don't.)

All veterinarians we've seen in the past 30+ years have recommended keeping cats indoors for their health, safety, and the safety of others. Pet owners who allow their pets to roam outside must assume many dangerous risks. Any breed of dog, coyote, etc. could harm or kill a cat. (A loose Labrador killed a neighbors' cat.)

I'm so sorry you are going through this with Charlie. I hope your area laws won't force him to wear a muzzle since that would put Charlie at greater risk to be seriously harmed by a loose dog. If your hound might be required to wear a muzzle while on leashed walks, I hope they would permit a Greyhound turnout muzzle or Greyhound racing muzzle which would allow Charlie to safely pant and drink water.

Guest EmilyRose

I am so sorry you are going through this. Completely agree you, your partner, and hound are not at fault. I do criminal defense in the US, but my best legal advice would be do not make any further direct contact with the cat owners. Any apology or attempt to make things right could backfire and sending them a bill may escalate a situation that might otherwise blow over.

I like the headlamp idea. I run with one and it really does pick up animal eye glint. I prefer ones with a green light option. I have never had a problem with it startling animals.

Good luck and take care.

Edited by EmilyRose