Refusing To Walk Outside Of The Regular Block

Guest WildSparkler

Guest WildSparkler

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with your hounds, and if you could do anything that worked. First off, we live in an apartment without a yard, so we have to walk our grey all the time for bathroom and everything. Typically, we have walked pretty much around the same block every time we went out for a walk or potty, and extended it one block if it were nicer out for a longer walk. Now it is FINALLY reaching spring here in Minnesota, and now that it is nicer outside I would like to take longer walks than our usual block allows. However, Roxy is now refusing to walk any other way than what takes us around the block we have been walking. She will statue no matter what way I try to turn, unless it is the path that will take us around 'that' block. Sometimes she will be distracted sniffing and miss a turn, but after 10-20 ft she realizes it and statues again. I can sometimes get her walking further, but it only lasts 20 or so feet. It just turns into a stubborn fight that isn't worth it. As soon as we turn around and back on the regular path she walks just fine! I have tried the walking in a circle to redirect her..she doesn't fall for it. So not sure if she is just extremely ritualistic and doesn't like venturing from the path or what, haha. She does like going for walks, and walks just fine as long as it is along 'the' block. Just wondering if anyone has any insight!

(We've had her for about 7 months now, got her just before winter, and before we got into the 'habit' she would walk anywhere! The winter formed this ritual of walking I suppose?)

Rocket will statue at certain places on our walk if he wants to turn around or for some other reason. If turning in a circle doesn't work, I will try crossing the street and continuing, which often works. The other thing to try is to take the leash and hold it right up near the neck like you are leading her. This works with Rocket 99% of the time. I assume it's because they are led to the race box in similar fashion, so the tension on the leash lets him know that you are in control.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

They can be a pain in the neck sometimes, huh. Annie has her favorite way to walk. It's not my favorite so every few days I insist on having my way. :) She will pull to go her way, but I insist it's my way or no way. No doubt it's my tone of voice, which after four years she knows when I use it she better get her skinny bottom moving. It's also the confidence I show her that I am in control now and you will come with me.

She does still occasionally plant herself to look at the sky (maybe it's going to fall!?), and if she looks too long, I give her shoulder area a gentle but firm shove with my thigh, just to get her feet moving, and then I walk with great purpose without looking at her or talking to her. I walk with the expectation that she is coming!

Sometimes it's our hesitancy or insecurity that the dog senses and immediately she'll know she's got you.

Dogs are pattern creatures, and anything deviating from their usual pattern makes them upset, and they can be incredibly stubborn. Sounds like that is your problem, and if you can get Roxy into a "new" pattern you will be fine. That transition to the new pattern is the hard part :-)

That said, since you indicated you got Roxy just before winter, please be aware that greyhounds can be very sensitive to heat. My dogs start having a problem even in the 70's. Its kind of counterintuitive since they have no fat you would think they would be fine with heat. So when it starts getting warmer, if Roxy looks like she doesn't want to go on it might be that she actually is getting uncomfortably hot and should be given a chance to rest. I was really surprised when I first got Logan in May 2013 he would walk anywhere for any length of time, but as we entered summer he would stop and lay down in the grass after only a half-mile or so.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I sometimes have the opposite problem with Brady, can't get him to turn for home. It does not happen all the time but it like he likes walking east in the direction of the sun and he knows when I start down or up a block or two that we are beginning to head back home. There is much stalling on the walk back. I usually walk him in a tight circle a few times to get him focused and moving again. But sometimes the walk home takes twice as long for all of his starting and stopping.

Can you change it up a bit--

Can you drive her 5 blocks or six block from your apartment and take her for a walk from there. I am thinking that being outside her comfort zone to start may help with the start of the walk and walk towards home, then walk back to get your car.

Edited by bradymom

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest daytonasmom

Same problem with Daytona - I think it was the winter weather. Before winter we went on 3 walks a day, each 45 minutes at least. With cold, rainy weather that dropped off a lot. Now that it's nice out again we're getting back to normal. It's taking longer than I expected, but we're getting there.

Guest normaandburrell

You might try putting him in the car and taking him for a ride, then getting him out and walking him. We had a friend whose grey would statue, and they worked him into walking by doing that. My Iceman is so stubborn that if he decides he doesn't want to do something, he lies down and looks at me like "What are you going to do about it?"

Guest Pacman_1

How long have you had him? I had the same problem a few weeks ago when I adopted my grey. I just kept him on a short leash and made him walk where I wanted to go. Eventually, he got the hang of it, and stopped resisting. He only stops to sniff, take care of business, or when he sees a small animal that he wants to chase.

Guest WildSparkler

Good ideas! I will definitely give them a try! She has not laid down yet though! Haha. And I am aware about the sensitively to heat! It was still only low 60's and cloudy and she wasn't panting yet when she refused yesterday. But I have noticed the like one day it made it to the upper 70's here she started panting much quicker.

They are stubborn creatures, aren't they? :)

Just start running and don't stop. They follow every time - especially when they are tied to you with a a leash. Better yet, put her in your vehicle and drive out to a nice forest with some trails. Do a big circuit and she will have no idea which way is up. Always important to change things up to keep the dogs mind from getting stuck. Tonight we are off to shoreline park and then into a small village for some pizza. Can't beat adventures with your dog.