Dripping Urine

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

He loves eggs, but I guess he can't have them anymore. I'm buying a hot-air pop corn popper, because he loves popcorn. I will try fruits and veggies, but he doesn't care for them cooked or raw. What other sorts of treats did you give Bullitt? Thanks for your help. I'm really overwhelmed by this diagnosis.

Larry is on a low protein diet. He gets about 5 level tablespoons of meat twice a day. One egg would probably be about 5 tablespoons - so you could give one egg twice a day but, probably no other major protein source. Larry also gets white rice. veggies, oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce among other things.

I suggest that you check web sites for the protein content of foods and adjust the meals appropriately.

Guest TahoeMom

OK. That's what I thought. 1-2 eggs would put him over the top, because he will be getting Hill's Prescription K/D diet, too. If he doesn't tolerate the K/D, I'll start cooking for him. Then I control his protein intake with varied things. I thought yogurt had too much phosphorus. I've been giving him kefir, which he likes and which helps his digestion. I'll double-check that. Thanks.

OK. That's what I thought. 1-2 eggs would put him over the top, because he will be getting Hill's Prescription K/D diet, too. If he doesn't tolerate the K/D, I'll start cooking for him. Then I control his protein intake with varied things. I thought yogurt had too much phosphorus. I've been giving him kefir, which he likes and which helps his digestion. I'll double-check that. Thanks.

I don't give much yogurt - about 1 to 2 tablespoons for him. 1 cup of the yogurt has 8 grams protein - he doesn't even get a 1/10 of that. At one point I analyzed all his food and calculated the total grams of protein he was getting versus what he should have and he was right on. I can tell if he gets too much protein because he increases the water drinking and along with that, how often he has to urinate.

Larry has been on this diet for 10+ years (he's 13 1/2 now) and the low protein it has not effected his quality of life.

There are also protein dipsticks for urine that you can use to see how protein is being excreted and increase/decrease food protein intake depending on the levels. I stated off using it on the first morning specimen and gradually got to the point that I was only checking once a week and doing minor adjustments. I used that for my angel Onyx when he had acute kidney issues.

Also, what was the specific gravity of the urine and the amount of protein in the urine?

If he doesn't like the Hill's K/D food, try the Royal Canin low protein/low phosphorous food. Bullitt wouldn't tough the Hills K/D but he loved the Royal Canin canned food. He also got a multivitamin every day along with a fish oil capsule and half a baby aspirin to prevent clots. He didn't get many treats but when he did he got the small Milk Bones twice a day. He did very well on this diet for over a year and a half when we lost him to something totally unrelated to the kidney disease.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee