Dripping Urine

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

Brendan has started dripping urine. He spends a lot of time licking it away on his bed. He drips when he stands. I have made a vet appointment. What am I looking at here? Incontinence? He's only 7.

Guest TahoeMom

Hmm. Not that I've noticed. I walk him on demand when I'm home on weekends. But during the week days, he has to wait 4-5 hours between walks. I wonder if he needs more walks. I guess I'll take him in and get antibiotics then. Thanks.

Have him checked by your veterinarian. Bring a freshly caught urine sample. Also, try to prevent him from urinating before your appointment in case they want to collect a sterile sample. Dripping urine could be so many things-not empting his bladder, uti, increased drinking, bladder stones/crystals....... Keep us posted after your visit.

Guest TahoeMom

Thanks. Will do. He had a UTI last summer after his dental cleaning. I suspected that he got an infection from the catheter. It took months for the infection to go away. I hope it's not a UTI. But maybe it's a seasonal thing. He has been known to have terrible ear and skin infections during the spring/summer.

Ask the vet to also check for a sheath infection. My 7 year old just went through this. Checked for uti and there was none but was put on antibiotics anyway just in case. After antibiotics were done I noticed some discharge and when vet flushed his sheath a whole bunch of stuff came out. She put him on a different antibiotic and also put antibiotic in the sheath itself. It did clear up but started to come back after about 6 weeks. Some dogs are prone to this so she showed me how to periodically flush it at home using a chlorhexadine solution she made up for me.

Guest TahoeMom

I brought Brendan's urine in to the vet. It might have more protein than normal, so another test will be run on it. We are looking at possibly kidney disease. I hope that we caught it early enough and it is treatable.

Sounds like your vet is going to run a UPC (urine protein creatinine) test. The test is only valid if run on an inactive sample-meaning on one without infection. A degree of proteinuria is not uncommon with our hounds but, it's not to be taken lightly. Often ACE inhibitors like enalapril and a low dose aspirin are prescribed--luckily they are both inexpensive. I assume your vet ran some bloodwork too?

Guest TahoeMom

He is going to see the vet on Monday. I bet the vet will draw some blood then. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.

I brought Brendan's urine in to the vet. It might have more protein than normal, so another test will be run on it. We are looking at possibly kidney disease. I hope that we caught it early enough and it is treatable.

I hope so too. :goodluck Sending good thoughts your way.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest TahoeMom

So a special urine protein test indicated that a lot of protein is being dumped in the urine. The concern is that the kidneys are either working overtime or failing to work efficiently. A blood sample was drawn today to see what else, if anything, is out of whack. In the meantime, Brendan will go on a low does of proin to try to stop the dribbling and excessive licking.

Guest TahoeMom

Well the proin definitely stops the dribbling, but the panting side effect is not pleasant. I think I'd rather have him dribbling au naturel. Waiting for bloodwork results now.

I loathe proin in greyhounds (are you old enough to remember dexatrim?). Did your vet check your hounds blood pressure before starting him on proin?? Personally, I feel proin is really not the drug to place a proteinuric hound on.

I would also make sure you check for a tbd.

Guest TahoeMom

Yes. Agree. He had one pill yesterday, and it took over 12 hours to get over the excessive panting side effect. I wasn't present during the vet visit. I don't know if he checked his b.p. He was prescribed 2 pills per day. Brendan seems uncomfortable on it.

I assume tbd means tick-borne disease?? I don't think he's checking that. Maybe we'll do that next. Maybe an ultrasound, too.

The vet is also concerned about the proteinuria. We are waiting for blood work results. I'm hoping he doesn't have kidney disease, but that's what we're looking for, sadly.

Glomerulonephritis (PLN) is not uncommon with our retired hounds and thankfully it progresses rather slowly compared to other breeds prone to it (Wheatens). Did you run the UPC?

Regarding the dripping urine--is there in increase in drinking? Can he completely empty his bladder when he voids?

Guest TahoeMom

Yes, I think we are doing a UPC test. We are waiting for those results, I think. Brendan doesn't seem to be drinking all that much more water than usual. He seems to be emptying his bladder ok. He eats well. His output is solid. He's good. He's just dripping a lot.

I gather that PLN is degenerative, and there is no cure. I wonder if there is any medicine he can take to slow the progression.

Edited by TahoeMom

Yes, you can slow the progession down with an ace inhibitor -typically enalapril is prescribed.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=535

You should also give low dose aspirin to reduce the chance of a stroke/clot. When your pet loses protein through the urine he is also losing antithrombin by default. Antithrombin is an anti-clotting factor. Too little = clots.

Bullitt had the same diagnosis. He did very well on Enalpril, blood pressure meds and a low protein, low phosphorous diet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TahoeMom

I'm going to try the Enalpril this weekend. He doesn't seem to tolerate the proin. I don't understand this disase. He needs to be on a low-protein, low phosphorous diet. OK if I give him hard-boiled eggs every day? Or is that too much protein??

I'm going to try the Enalpril this weekend. He doesn't seem to tolerate the proin. I don't understand this disase. He needs to be on a low-protein, low phosphorous diet. OK if I give him hard-boiled eggs every day? Or is that too much protein??

I'm going to send you a pm