Stella And Chewey Raw

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

We are thinking of feeding our dogs raw. For years I have been very afraid to do this because I am concerned I won't give them all of the nutrients they need. I just saw in our local store that Stella and Chewy has come out with complete frozen (raw) meals. Has anyone tried them? Is it naïve to think that a healthy complete raw meal could be packaged all-in-one?

Thank you for any input!

Mercy and Rocky's mom

I haven't got the Stella and Chewy dog formula due to the price, but I sometimes feed it to my cat and have had no issues. If you are scared about raw, sometimes the store mixes are a good start. Easy to feed, and you can see if your dog does well on it. It is very expensive though, unless you have a small dog.

Dr. Karen Becker has raw diet recipes that are fairly easy to make and she provides a nutritional analysis of each one to ensure they meet the standards (for recipes that don't there is a vit./mineral mix you make to add). If you are one of the people who like to have a "recipe" that is balanced rather than just feeding different ingredients and percentages, that could be something to look at for the future.

I second Dr. Becker's book ... its easy to read & to follow, and will keep your food bill down SIGNIFICANTLY over the prepared raw foods.

However, your question was about the Stella/Chewy frozen -- I've used it before, and my hounds got tired of it quickly. They LOVE the dehydrated Stella/Chewy food though (its used exclusively as a treat here, to ensure that our treats are as balanced as our food).

Good luck!

Guest Johberry

We've used both Stella and Chewy frozen and dehydrated raw and had no issues with it. Have also used Primal and Nature's Instinct. It wasn't cost-effective so we quickly switched to fresh raw. The only pre-made frozen complete ground mix we use is by Oma's Pride but only use it as a supplement because it has a lot of ground bone in it.

Edited by Johberry