Update On Leo's Toes, Not So Great

Our vet did foot xrays while he was out for his dental (which went fine).

So the good news is the one he hurt Saturday is completely back in place and seems to be staying there (w/leash restriction & wrapping instructions and an anti-inflamatory). The bad news is the funny looking toe next to it was badly dislocated at some point and has healed way out of position. And he has another toe on that foot that's not quite as bad, but with the same thing.

The vet feels, and I agree, that while he's not completely comfortable with that foot, it's better to treat this like arthritis for the time being than to risk surgery, particularly on load bearing toes. I'm just frustrated wondering if he'd been given proper medical care in the past if his foot would be better, but I guess what's done is done.

I don't think once we get past the current injury, he'll need medication routinely yet, but he is on cosequine and we're going to add in fish oil supplements.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Not sure if this would be interesting to you but, the link is to a horse that is having a prosthetic made to support the leg that was damaged but still intact. It might be worth checking to see whether it's possible to make a brace for a dog simply to keep the toes from dislocating worse then they are now.

https://www.facebook.com/RosemaryFarm/photos/pcb.10155184723255012/10155184715995012/?type=1&theater

I see a lot of weird knobby toes on greyhounds. Seldom seem to bother them. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've seen some incredibly misshapen toes on actively lure-coursing greyhounds. Surprised me a bit it wasn't a problem for them with such intense activity but the owners said not. So probably don't worry if they're not causing a problem. Mine has a weight-bearing toe amputation and the remaining large toe has gotten very misshapen and arthritic over the years yet it causes her no problem at all. I have her on Dasuquin with MSM but honestly have no idea if it helps or she truly needs it.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad