Anyone Else Do Agility With Their Greyhound, Tips ?

Guest Amber

To be honest i kind of get the impression a lot of agility people are quite harsh handlers.

Run, don't walk. If this is the impression of agility handlers that you have gotten through exposure from this one class... that speaks volumes about the class, the handler, the techniques, and the impact on the other students. Agility handlers, in general, are amongst the most gentle and the most positive. I am not suggesting that we never get frustrated, sound a little frustrated, throw our hands up in the air, or perhaps take a slightly annoyed tone with our dog on occasion (being human and all), but I haven't known a handler yet who was rough with their dog. I'm still relatively new to the sport, but I have seen a lot of competitors, and I'm always amazed by how wonderful they are with their dogs, often even when things are not going well. I think that speaks to the "old school" nature of your trainer. If by "old school" you mean harsh, backwards, and counterproductive. Most of the trainers I have had are "older" (probably close to 45-50 as an average), and none are teaching those methods. Some of them used to, until more was learned about dog training and behaviour.

If you think agility handlers are harsh with their dogs... you are in the wrong class. Run, and don't look back.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Amber

Well it's hard to explain - nothing is black and white. The comments he makes sound harsh and i did see some handling of another dog at training class that i did not like, on one occasion. I would go ballistic if it were my dog. I stick up for my dog and let him know i disagree with things. But that was just one time when he crossed a line with the other dog. On the whole, the approach is firm and no nonsense; he is a very good handler when using positive reinforcement, it's a shame he also still has some old fashioned ideas, in addition to reward based. He has a training qualification that means rewards based , force-free training (which is why i went).

What qualification might that be?

Firm and no nonsense isn't what I want for my dog either. I want fun. Ultimately the point is to have fun with your dog, no? I'm with Krissy, get out of there.

I am glad you're having success again and that Fey is enjoying her toys again.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Firm and no nonsense isn't what I want for my dog either. I want fun. Ultimately the point is to have fun with your dog, no? I'm with Krissy, get out of there.

I wouldn't want to play with someone who was being no nonsense. Like I said, when we train I let Kili get away with murder. It's all about letting out her inner naughty dog... because it's fun! Feet up on my chest! Growling! Running away with the toy! (The only naughty behaviours I don't allow are dangerous ones and chase... I don't chase my dog because that's not a game I want to encourage). Fun fun fun!

If you like the trainer then stick with it. Me? I'd be out of there in a heartbeat. My dog doesn't need any negative associations when she's at agility. You can have all the "qualifications" and certificates and whatnot in the world, but if you don't actually train positively I won't be sticking around.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!