Poop Kicking And Doggy Brakes

Both of these things are driving me crazy on my walks with Aidan recently!

I know this is common dog behavior but every time Aidan stops to do his business (of the number 2 kind) when he is finished, he does the back feet kick! 9 out of 10 times this sends the fresh turds flying through the air :blink: . I have recently picked off poop from the side of a fence, my neighbors lawn ornaments, tire of a car, and numerous other difficult places. As soon as I see that he is done I try to pull him away quick enough but sometimes he is faster.

When I give him a good tug as soon as hes done pooping he gives me this most annoyed look like "what the heck mom!"

Does anyone else have a poop punter?

Sorry about the rant but while I'm at it another thing is Aidan's new doggy brakes he has acquired. We take a similar route for our walks every morning and recently when we get to the streets that circle back to our house Aidan puts on the brakes. He will go from a happy trot to slow as a turtle! I think he has become spoiled and knows that we are headed home and it is his way of pouting about it. He LOVES walks and would walk all day if I let him. I feel the neighbors look out their window and see me walking and dragging this "poor old greyhound" down our street on the way home every night. He puts on a big show. :violin

I've got a girl and she doesn't punt poo. Do any girls do that?

Annie used to slow down terribly on our walks when it was obvious we were headed home. She now just slows down a little bit because she's learned that for the most part, mom's in charge of the walk and if it's time to go home, then it's time to go home. There was a big problem when I first adopted her. She wouldn't slow down; she would S T O P. ::big sigh:: Once I learned a couple of tricks to get her feet moving again, the problem was solved.

HAHA my girl only does the kicks with wee.... and very rarely. Her dog-mumma does it too. Barbie does the slow walk home bit as well. It can get a bit irritating!!!

Hester is a big time kicker/ground scraper. But he never makes contact with his poo. Instead he moves forward and buries it with an avalanche of debris. The guy can easily tear up a garden. He will also do the same thing with a pee or nothing at all if another male dog is in the vicinity. The exception is when the surface isn't right - he is very careful with his feet it seems. Occasionally he will leap and spin when he is finished. Sometimes the whole display is accompanied by horse like snorting. I always laugh but to him it's serious business.

Interestingly Hester will almost never step in poo - his own or that of other dogs, no matter how complex the footwork required. And he never seems to look at it. It's like a sixth sense - just knows where the poo is. What a talent, our carpets are grateful. All this from a dog that is still clumsy on stairs, etc.

We also get serious doggy brakes. We call it dropping anchor. If we attempt a direction that is not in Hester's plans he will throw out the anchor. And the saddest doggy face you can imaginge. I can bribe with treats but the real solution is to run. If I run he will follow. Fortunately this only happens on leash so just certain night walks in the winter. Off leash he just follows.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Johberry

Our hound does this consistently and sometimes even after he pees! I used to think it was the weirdest thing as it is a new development in the last 2 weeks as he's been with us for just 2 months now. Like others have already suggested, we lead him forward a few steps right after he does his business to prevent flying poop. :)

poppy only does an occasional postpoo kicking, halfhearted at best. she does have a hilarious dingleberry phobia.

i warned her yesterday not to eat grass, but would she listen?

of course this morning after a partial poo, she lost control of her back legs and fell over on her right side, then attacked her butt. got up, fell down, got up, fell down, then finally disloged the offending dangly poo. happy unbroken doggy again. saluki butt feathering is occasionally counterpooductive. at least this time the dangley bit was not stuck to her tail feathers. that time she proudlky brought it over to me for human assistance and manual removal.

managed to locate the recalcitrant bit & it joined the earlier partial in it's black baggy.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

we were out for a walk in the nearby woods and one of our guys decided to kick grass and stuff to bury his poop. Instead he kicked a huge pile of grass, weeds, etc. onto the back of our borzoi. Thank goodness there wasn't any poop in it.

Guest Muscovy

Occasionally he will leap and spin when he is finished. Sometimes the whole display is accompanied by horse like snorting. I always laugh but to him it's serious business.

This made my day :)

Sorry Aidansmom, I have nothing constructive to add. But thankyou for starting this thread!

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh my what a Topic . My Morty shuffles just a little bit . My Friends Grey Supoda was a Master in it. I called him the Best of the Best and Earthmover . :hehe

Interestingly Hester will almost never step in poo - his own or that of other dogs, no matter how complex the footwork required. And he never seems to look at it. It's like a sixth sense - just knows where the poo is. What a talent, our carpets are grateful. All this from a dog that is still clumsy on stairs, etc.

This sounds just like our Marvin. Twinkle Toes when it comes to avoiding stepping in poop of any kind, but not at all disturbed by peeing on his front leg or stepping right in his own puddle :whiteflag He also gets the adrenaline rush when he finishes a BM...we think it comes from being in such a vulnerable position, and also probably from just being happy and proud of himself.

We had the 'brakes' problem while we were living in Hampton (hello, neighbor!) on walks, where it always seemed that he did not want to turn for home or didn't want to walk the regular route. We picked up some tricks from this board to get him moving again (treats, turning in circles, doing a slight direction change, and so on), and after a few months, the daily episodes of frozen hound subsided.

I don't have much advice on the punting, other than to take cover :)