Discolored Paw Pad

Is discoloration in a paw pad normal? I noticed this today. Thoughts?

He's a little tender, he's been known to lick that paw, and I believe that's also the leg where his recurring limp is coming from so wouldn't be hard to guess that it's his paw hurting him now. What could be causing this kind of "abrasion"? He doesn't wear boots, nothing has changed on our walks (same pavement/sidewalk/grass) nor any different flooring in the house. If I squish all his toesies together, they touch the discolored parts.

What would be a remedy?

IMG_20141021_225656_zpsadf2eab4.jpg

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

looks normal to me. dogs pads go thru molting- sometimes they are thick and hard- dark in color. occasionally i'll notice lighter colored and textured pads. look like nothing to worry about. walking on black top or cement or beach/sand can do this. just make sure he's not going crazy licking- allergy season- mold in the ground or he can have something in-between the pads- give a look.

Have therapaw - they are despised by both my boys.

I stuck my finger into the middle of his paw pad (as I tend to do when I tickle them) and there seems to be an unusual amount of cracking..... I think I'll put some cream on or something to alleviate discomfort and go from there. I think something is amiss involving his foot to be honest.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015