Dental Anesthesia

rsieg

Just a quick question. My dog Logan is getting his first dental since his adoption this week (Thursday). He is only 4 yo and the teeth look generally good (no extractions expected) so I don't foresee any problems, but since anesthesia is an issue with greyhounds I thought I would post the recipe my vet is planning to use to make sure no one sees any issue (he was aware that greyhounds have issues in this area). The recipe is:

(1) anesthesia induced by an IV injection of ketamine and diazepene (valium); then

(2) anesthesia is maintained by an inhalent gas called isoflurane

Anyone see any concerns here? Thanks in advance,

- Rob

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

No pre-medication?

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

No concerns with that protocol--that's pretty standard. Do you know what pre- anesthetic protocol will be used?? I would give you one word of advice-many ghs do not respond well to opiates--I would avoid morphine if at all possible.

Oooo-wanted to mention also that if extractions are performed you should give Amicar to prevent post operative bleeding.

Thanks for the comments, I did not know to ask about pre-anesthesia, but I will mention the sensitivity to morphine when I drop him off, and the Amicar suggestion (I doubt he will have any extractions, but just in case...)

- Rob

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest normaandburrell

Are you sure the adoption group didn't have his teeth cleaned recently? They normally do this when the dogs are being fixed.

With our first grey, we taught him to let us brush his teeth, and we were able to avoid dental cleaning for the 6 years we had him. You have to do it at least daily. We were very glad we did, because the first time he had an xray, he had a bad reaction to anesthesia, even though what they gave was supposed to be greyhound safe.

Guest Johberry

I don't have any advice, but also curious about others' thoughts. We've had our boy for three weeks now. The DB and I will at some point in the near future be scheduling a dental for our retired racer. He's 4 as well and was told at his vet appointment from this morning that his teeth don't look too bad for his age but would definitely need to get his teeth cleaned.

normaandburrell, not all adoption groups do the dental. Ours had him neutered but did not have his teeth done. I thought it was a little odd because I read that the adoption group gets all that done before adopting out, but that wasn't the case for our boy. Oh well. I suppose I was too excited to take our boy him to question it at the time.

Edited by Johberry

I adopted Logan in May 2013, from GAO in Ohio which does do dentals. But I haven't done brushing or anything more than giving him hard kibble and those milkbone dental bones (which probably do nothing). Based on his annual in May 2014 the vet thought he should probably have a dental in the fall, hence it being scheduled now.

- Rob

Rob

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Adoption groups may do only the non-anesthesia cleaning, which isn't nearly as good. My Greyhound got the awake cleaning, so we have to take him soon for a real cleaning. I've had my teeth scaled before, and it's not the most pleasant experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Johberry

Checking to see how it went with Logan's dental? Our hound is getting his first dental in a few weeks and, naturally, I'm pretty nervous for him.

Checking to see how it went with Logan's dental? Our hound is getting his first dental in a few weeks and, naturally, I'm pretty nervous for him.

Logan came through great, thanks for asking. No extractions, he was done by 11 am and I picked him up at 2 pm, and he jumped into the car. He even went for a walk that evening. The vet did say he had a lot of tartar buildup.

Good luck on yours...

- Rob

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Johberry

Logan came through great, thanks for asking. No extractions, he was done by 11 am and I picked him up at 2 pm, and he jumped into the car. He even went for a walk that evening. The vet did say he had a lot of tartar buildup.

Good luck on yours...

- Rob

Sorry for the super late reply! So happy to hear Logan came through just fine. We dropped off Enzo early this morning for his first dental and the anticipation is killing me.

We were reassured beforehand about the procedure including the medication being used. Our adoption group is taking care of everything but his dental x-rays, not a big deal at all, which the vet had recommended due to our boy's severe tartar build-up. I keep staring at the phones as we were informed we'd get a call if anything other than the cleaning needs to be done such as extractions. It's reassuring the vet won't do anything major without our permission. We were told the procedure will take all day into late afternoon, so I'm nervously waiting trying to keep busy (my DB is currently injured and won't be able to pick up our hound without me).

For those who happen upon my overly-worrisome post, please send good vibes this way for our Enzo. :)