Stung On The Paw By A Stinging Insect

Guest chickenpotpie

Guest chickenpotpie

After I repeatedly told her KNOT to mess with flying bugs, she of course chases one down that knew how to fight back! It looked like it was a single sting, thankfully I'm not sure if it was a bee or hornet, but I did check to see if there was a stinger and didn't find any.

What should I be watching for , and, should I give her anything for it now? (and yes she looked at me like MAAAAWWWWWWMMMM , DOOOOO SOMETHING!!! :hehe ) I got a feeling she may not mess with them anymore.

Benadryl will help with the swelling. 1mg per 1 pound of dog, so a 50 pound dog can take two 25mg pills. You also can do an epsom-salt soak, if she'll cooperate, but the Benadryl should help quickly.

The scary one is when they get stung around the mouth. Swelling then can obstruct the airway. If you ever suspect a mouth/muzzle/snout sting, give Benadryl and head for the vet/ER immediately. You can sit in the waiting room until you see whether she needs medical care, but better to get there and have a wasted drive and a waiting-room sit than to delay and then have a panicked dash for help.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest chickenpotpie

Thanks. So far, no swelling. (whew!!) She doesn't appear to be in any pain at the moment either. I couldn't see what got her, but it flew away in a hurry (as she was trying to eat it :chow )

I will certainly keep a close watch, thank you.

My girl once had a yellow jacket sting on one leg. It was swollen by the time we got home (and got to the Benadryl)--about 20 minutes. I gave her two Benadryl and the swelling went right down.

And my boy once jumped up from a sound sleep and spat out a red wasp. Then he pawed at his mouth. He didn't cry--and he's my crybaby. He'd had Benadryl already that morning for his allergies. I didn't waste time looking for a stinger in his mouth since I could easily overlook it. I just popped him into the car and drove to my vet's. We sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes, then went home. He loves outings with mom and enjoyed the car ride--and the attention and cookies from the vet staff while we waited, and I appreciated the peace of mind.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Brady has been stung twice in the same paw. The first one was not so bad. Getting the stinger out took some coaxing. He also developed a corn sometime later.... right where he was stung.

The second time (the next summer) he stepped into a yellow jacket nest running in a field. Scream of death, and he went down. He was only stung once, first I ever heard the scream of death .... I only saw one yellow jacket but his reaction scared me, so we stopped at our vets office.

The vet was on our way home, so he was checked over, only 1 sting and stinger. The vet gave us an antihistamine cause his paw was swelling.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....