Anyone Feed Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural?

For years my dogs have eaten TOTW Pacific Stream without an issue. But, all of my original greyhounds passed away and in the last year I've adopted Ozzie and Clarice. Since the TOTW worked so well for everyone else, I just kept feeding it.

It seemed like they were doing okay on it, but they are quite a bit more active than my old kids were. I am having trouble keeping weight on them, and increasing the amount of kibble they get just gives them diarrhea. I've considered trying a different protein source and I've been doing so much reading about dog food it's insane.

I have seen great things online about Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural...but would like to hear from greyhound folks. I think if we are going to change protein sources this looks like a great food.

Ozzie cannot eat any foods with lamb in them, so that is also a consideration I am keeping in mind while I search.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I've been feeding Earthborn Holistic since the last TOTW salmonella incident and have never looked back. I'm feeding the Great Plain Feast (bison and lamb) because Princess can't have chicken. They've never had a recall and I love their UCP's for Trees program. It is higher fat and protein than the TOTW I was feeding, so I did end up having to cut their food back some to keep them from getting too heavy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest FreeholdHound

Love Earthborn Holistic! I feed the GPF also since Harry can't have the turkey, chicken or whitefish. I think it's a great line of dog food. I rotate the Earthborn w/ Natures Logic Beef, and Grandma Lucy's Goat.

I'm glad to hear people have had good experiences :)

I've never had a greyhound who could tolerate lamb. Ozzie and Clarice are my 6th and 7th greyhounds!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest WhiteWave

Not a fan of that formula. The ash levels are very high at 12 %. My dogs drank a ton of water on that food and always seemed extremely thirsty. After learning more about ash, I try to feed foods with no more than 8% ash.

Not a fan of that formula. The ash levels are very high at 12 %. My dogs drank a ton of water on that food and always seemed extremely thirsty. After learning more about ash, I try to feed foods with no more than 8% ash.

Can I ask what you feed?

Also where did you get the information on the ash content? I don't see that anywhere on their website...

Guest WhiteWave

Can I ask what you feed?

Also where did you get the information on the ash content? I don't see that anywhere on their website...

You have to ask them for it, they do not put it on their website.. But google Eathborn Ash content and you will find it has been discussed on many dog boards.

Right now I'm feeding Victor Hi Pro Plus. Ash is 8.69%.

The other grain free Earthborn formulas are not too bad. All under 10% and so are their grain inclusive formulas.

Edited by WhiteWave

This would all be easier if lamb was tolerated at my house.