Suddenly Stopped Using Stairs

We've had max (Starz lee max) since fall of 2010 and he learned stairs at the foster before we got him. Traditionally, his favorite place is in our room on one if his beds (except at night--he keeps us awake with a lot if tricks---loooong story). About a month ago he stopped going up stairs. I didn't really pay much attention to it or worry about it at the time. After he stopped using stairs (2-3 weeks later) he strained or sprained something and was treated with pain meds for a week but now seems back to himself. Why is he still not coming upstairs? Any ideas? I miss him being up here w us in the evenings. Thx -Kathy

Vet visit, I think.

Vet should check Max's mobility--everything moving and flexing right?

And check his eyesight.

(In the meantime, turn on lots of lights and see if Max is more willing to try the stairs.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

He's been to the vet--X-rays were taken of knees and hips. Some swelling noted in the right knee. Saw vet surgeon who felt the cruciate ligaments are ok--he thinks the ligament is not torn. I have tried the lights idea too. I think his vision is ok. He sees stuff we don't notice. Thanks!!

Typically if a dog is really reluctant to go UP the stairs he could have lower back or back leg woes--DOWN the stairs can be associated with front limb or neck issues. With the absence of lameness I would question that there may be some back pain. Is he taking any current medications? Pain meds, NSAID or a muscle relaxant??

Edited by tbhounds