Why Do Most Hounds Still Have Their Dewclaws?

Guest UnFROGettable

Guest UnFROGettable

When I adopted my girl Devina I was really surprised to find that she does *not* have dew claws. I'm curious as to why most hounds still have them (seems like my girl is in the minority). Is there a reason why more hounds don't have them removed after they are born?

Removal of dewclaws is done at the discretion of the breeder shortly after birth. Some breeders and owners do it or have it done, some don't.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Dew claws actually are functioning digits and should be left alone. They help stabilize the foot, grip the ground when turning, and are used to hold things the dog is chewing on. Dogs that fall through ice use their dewclaws as ice picks to drag themselves back out while dogs without are unable to save themselves.

A lot of greyhound people worry about injuries and remove them but a lot of it is each breeder's preference. Unfortunately both of mine had their dewclaws removed. :(

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I've owned 5 greyhounds; only 1 had no dew claws.

I used to be a dog groomer, and it was rare to have dogs of any breed without dew claws--like, maybe, "one-in-forty" rare--so it's not just greyhound breeders that leave the claws.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

There are a lot of arguments in favor of retaining dew claws for performance dogs, for reasons like krissy mentioned. There are people who will argue against them, as well.

My lure coursing Greyhound has hers and uses them quite a bit when running and turning. My Ibizans do not have theirs, unfortunately. I have only had 1 Greyhound without dew claws (one of my personal dogs) in over 60 that have come through my house.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Why remove a part of the dog's anatomy unless it is causing a problem? They are there for a reason. I've read about medical stuff endlessly here for six years and there are only rare and minor issues with dewclaws.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest UnFROGettable

Facinating! I figured there was good reason to not remove them. Kinda like de-clawing cats...I find that whole process disturbing.

Guest AimeeBee

Thanks for asking this! I had actually been wondering what their purpose was. My resident dog has dewclaws but it appears my foster does not -- he just has tiny nubs where the dewclaws would be -- so I guess that means they were removed rather than just not being there?.

Guest LazyBlaze

Dew claws actually are functioning digits and should be left alone. They help stabilize the foot, grip the ground when turning, and are used to hold things the dog is chewing on. Dogs that fall through ice use their dewclaws as ice picks to drag themselves back out while dogs without are unable to save themselves.

A lot of greyhound people worry about injuries and remove them but a lot of it is each breeder's preference. Unfortunately both of mine had their dewclaws removed. :(

Yeah, I came across an interesting piece a while ago on the implication of dew claw removal in carpal arthritis (for the reasons you outline regarding stability): http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documents/dewclaws-injury.pdf My terrier's arthritis became problematic in his wrists to begin with (but is now generalised) and I was looking to understand it a bit better. He did do a bit of agility but still has his dew claws. I think we just overdid it a bit with him with back-and-forth ball chasing when he was younger. He loved it at the time but thinking back it must've been tough on his wrists.

I've owned 5 greyhounds; only 1 had no dew claws.

I used to be a dog groomer, and it was rare to have dogs of any breed without dew claws--like, maybe, "one-in-forty" rare--so it's not just greyhound breeders that leave the claws.

My experience is the exact opposite. Of my five greyhounds, only one has had dewclaws. Well, one and a half--my Buddy had one dewclaw, but it was misshapen, and he actually tore it off a couple of times. The vet said they 'tried to remove it [when they removed the other one] but botched it'.

My current dog, Phoebe, has her dewclaws.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

We have 8 greyhounds, six with dews, 2 without.

Half of the two 'Tzus had dewclaws. JD was a show dog so his were removed, whereas Rocky was not and he had his.

Our CC Freddie Mercury does not have his either.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****