Enough Food For Exercising?

Guest HeatherLee

Guest HeatherLee

So I'm starting to take Gambler with me to exercise more often. He's quite energetic and doesn't tire as easily as most greys seem too. Also, I'm not in terrific shape either so it's not as if we're going at warp speed up mountains. Mostly it's about 2 times a week when I'll take him on a 2-3 mile jog (a light jog since i'm getting in shape too) or up a paved short mountain path. He doesn't seem tired, and of course I make sure he's hydrated and not overheating or uncomfortable and wouldn't push him beyond his limits. That being said.. since we are both getting in better shape and he seems to be raring to go farther more often how much should I increase his food (planning on exercising 3-4 days w/ him)? And are there supplements I should think about? He's 68 pounds. I feed him 1 3/4 cup dry kibble (iams sensitive) with 1/4 cup wet nutro lamb and rice. He's maintaining his weight and is a happy boy now, I just want to make sure I'm giving him enough for the energy he's expending. Thanks.

It depends on what his needs are. I don't change food unless I notice a problem (putting on or losing weight). And honestly, I have almost never changed food intakes. Both dogs are eating 3 cups of Hill's J/D. One is a 75 lb relatively inactive (thanks winter!), almost senior male. The other is a 58 lb highly active 18 month old female. But that said, I have not changed her intake between summer when we are highly active and winter when we are less so. This winter has just been far too cold to be outside most days. In the summer we do something every night... Off leash hike or 5k jog or dog park.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I don't normally change food intake either. When the weather is nice mine do at least 5-6 miles most days, and I don't notice they loose any weight on what they are currently fed. Unless your dog is doing very long distances or is a true working dog, I don't think you need to worry about changing from a regular diet. As the others have said, just watch his body condition and adjust if needed.

Congrats on making the effort to get more exercise! I'm sure it will be terrific for you both!

I wouldn't worry about the diet unless Gambler starts to lose weight, but I would be extremely concerned about hydration. A very high profile celebrity lost one of his labs to heat stroke last year on a 65° degree, low humidity day in the NE. This dog went hiking every day of her short life and was in superb condition. Hydration isn't something that you can "catch up" on in extreme heat that you experience in AZ.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you both for getting more exercise! It's definitely on my to-do list as both my greyhound and I are getting a bit "fluffy" after this long winter. (OK - we're both middle-aged and getting fat and out of shape :nod :nod . ) ANYWAY - as soon as the weather breaks and we can get out more - we're going to get moving. I won't even CONSIDER changing my grey's food intake. If we get really into it - and she starts to show signs of loosing weight - I MIGHT consider increasing her food intact by a little bit if he hits the point that I think she's looking too thin. I seriously doubt that will happen.

Greys are very good at building muscle tone with regular exercise.

How old is your dog? What's his weight now? (not in pounds - I mean is he thin - average - pudgy - good weight but out of shape?) I'd call my Diana good weight but out of shape. So - when we get more exercise - the fat will go to muscle - and probably no extra food will be needed.

As with anything - EVERY DOG is different - and YOU are the best judge for YOUR dog. I wouldn't give extra yet. Wait and see.

I feed the same food year round and rarely adjust amounts. We lure course in the spring, fall, and some of the winter and I keep my dogs in running muscle/condition. I just keep an eye on their weight and condition and adjust accordingly, if necessary.