Help. Dog Bite And Threats To Call Animal Control

I would suggest getting JJ certified as a CGC for added protection. It will help if there are any incidents in the future.

Also, no leash greetings with unfamiliar dogs! There's really no reason to be letting him meet dogs he doesn't know, especially when admittedly you don't know how he'll react. Leashed greetings can cause all kinds of issues in otherwise well socialized dogs, it's just not worth the risk.

This is all more advice for moving forward to prevent future incidents. It sounds like this situation will work out okay. I would probably just let things be and put my focus on making sure my dog is acting politely anytime I am in the building or near it outside where neighbors could see us.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would suggest getting JJ certified as a CGC for added protection. It will help if there are any incidents in the future.

I'm not sure that would be possible for JJ. He's made much more progress than we had expected when we first adopted him, but he's far from being CGC behavior. Mainly because he is gets quite spooked by large crowds of people and is fearful of strangers that approach him head on (vs stranger who stands in place and lets him approach them). We had a behavior consult/training when we first adopted him, and at that point our goal was just to be able to walk him down the street calmly without him growling/barking his head off at any living thing within a block from us. One year later now we have met and exceeded our goal and expectations in terms of good behavior on walks, but I rather doubtful we will manage to work through his fear of unfamiliar people.

I'm probably more sensitive to people's comments now after the incident, but I overheard other residents talking quietly asking if he was "the dog that doesn't like people," which makes me really sad because JJ is so affectionate with people he knows and likes. He has a bad reputation now :( Ugh.

...Also, no leash greetings with unfamiliar dogs! There's really no reason to be letting him meet dogs he doesn't know, especially when admittedly you don't know how he'll react. Leashed greetings can cause all kinds of issues in otherwise well socialized dogs, it's just not worth the risk.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but was curious about this statement. It makes sense to me because I HAVE seen times when two dogs are "introduced" while leashed and the outcome is not good. When my daughter brought her puggle over to meet our greyhound for the first time, we let them meet outside (as suggested by my adoption rep) and it only seemed to make her puggle more agitated and agressive. They did much better a couple of weeks later when we went to her house and the dogs were jsut together in the house for an afternoon with us. No problems that day AT ALL... I was wondering if there is any good way to introduce two dogs to each other? Like if someone is coming to visit with their dog... I would like to do it the "right" way, if I knew what the "right" way was!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but was curious about this statement. It makes sense to me because I HAVE seen times when two dogs are "introduced" while leashed and the outcome is not good. When my daughter brought her puggle over to meet our greyhound for the first time, we let them meet outside (as suggested by my adoption rep) and it only seemed to make her puggle more agitated and agressive. They did much better a couple of weeks later when we went to her house and the dogs were jsut together in the house for an afternoon with us. No problems that day AT ALL... I was wondering if there is any good way to introduce two dogs to each other? Like if someone is coming to visit with their dog... I would like to do it the "right" way, if I knew what the "right" way was!

I've heard that sometimes dogs can be "leash aggressive" where they only show aggression while leashed because they feel like they are more restricted. Think of it as given a choice of "fight or flight" and they know they can't "take flight" because they are leashed, so they choose to "fight" instead. At least that is how I understand it. The only time my dog has ever met other dogs off leash was with other greyhounds (and he seems to just know that other greyhounds are good dogs to be around), so I don't know if the leash makes a difference for us.

What about greeting with a fence or baby gate in between?

My George doesn't like ANY dog that isn't a Greyhound. It's not a problem for me. I simple keep him on a short leash when other dogs are around and tell people, "I'm sorry, he only likes Greyhounds" (which is less threatening than "he's not friendly"). When I'm in confined quarters with other dogs, e.g. the ferry to Nantucket, I do muzzle him.

"He only likes greyhounds"

Hey, I really like that. And it's mostly true. He either takes no interest in some dogs, or he takes far too much interest in other dogs (and cats), but he gets along great with greyhounds and his "bestest friend" in our building is a sighthound mix mutt.

I WOULD speak to your neighbor. I'd bring her some cookies, and ask how her dog is doing. I'd mention that you had heard a rumor that she was considering reporting the incident, and ask her to reconsider.

If she's a lonely older lady, then she is probably just mad that you haven't contacted her to ask about her dog.

I originally did want to talk to her and bring her dog some biscuits and ask how he was doing, but the first time I saw her after the incident she gave me such an stink eye that I was really taken aback. Haven't had any desire to speak with her since.

One of my guys is super social and appropriate off-leash, but he is totally the opposite on-leash. He's a good example of a dog who exhibits 'leash aggression.' I could introduce him to the exact same dog, but I know his behavior will be different when a leash is involved. He's had a few bad experiences where he was charged by another dog and couldn't get away, so I totally get his fear and anxiety about being leashed. It took a lot of work and positive reinforcement training, and he is a lot better now... but he's still not 100% trustworthy with certain dogs on-leash. I've learned to live with it. I can usually pick up on his body language, and I've gotten a lot better at knowing his triggers. It does suck having to tell people, 'No, he's not friendly with other dogs.' But it's better than risking another bad experience for him, or even worse, a fight.

As for the 'right way' to introduce dogs, trainers and behaviorists usually recommend 'parallel walking.' The dogs meet on neutral territory, and you take them for a walk together. Simple as that. It's way less confrontational than a face-to-face greeting (which people do all the time, but is a big no-no in dog language). And it's more controlled than an off leash free for all.

I was wondering if there is any good way to introduce two dogs to each other? Like if someone is coming to visit with their dog... I would like to do it the "right" way, if I knew what the "right" way was!

As Alicia mentioned, the best way to introduce 2 dogs is to go on a walk together on neutral territory. Face-to-face greetings while on leash can result in reactive behavior, especially if there is tension on the leash transmitting the owner's nervousness to the dog. If a face-to-face meeting is unavoidable, try to circle the dogs around so that they is more nose-tail contact that nose-to-nose, and keep the leash loose. During the walk, watch the dogs' body language and interactions with each other. If they seem tense or uncomfortable, keep them farther apart, and with people between them. If they seem relaxed, try walking them side by side. And after the walk, if you're seeing that they seem comfortable near each other, you can let them off leash in a fenced or indoor area. Keep in mind that open areas will be less stressful than tight spaces.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg