Resource Guarding Furniture?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

Sorry for the length

So just now we had an incident with Dudley, and this is not the first time this has happened.

We have a friend over watching football, Dudley knows him very well, LOVES him, he has also been with him in several different situations, in the park, at his house, at our house, etc.

Our couches are placed in a way where they touch each other like an L shape. Our friend will usually sit on the love seat, and my bf on the sofa with Dudley in the corner "in between" them (on the sofa couch) the first time several months ago, Dudley just suddenly snapped and snarled, and continued a low growl. We assumed he was asleep and had sleep startle, he has never had it so severe before, but we didn't have another explanation. Since then, Dudley growled a stranger friend of mine who came over. Dudley seemed happy when he came in, but then laid on the couch, my friend walked by and Dudley growled. I chalked it up to him being weird because my bf wasn't home and another man was there. He also has had incidents where he has gotten puffy with raised hackles when people he doesn't know enter the house. Once again I figured that the bf wasn't home, Dudley was confused by it.

This time our friend (the one Dudley knows well) was just sitting on the couch, he was kind of laying long ways, so his head was kind of near Dudley's who was on the other couch with Chris (the bf). I was sitting at the computer. Dudley just suddenly started snarling and growling at our friend. It was a VERY strange situation. I tried to get him off the couch, used all the commands that normally work, tried coaxing him by shaking the leash which he usually runs to. He wouldn't get off the couch until both the bf and friend were off the couch. I took him for a quick pee and then put him in the bedroom with a baby gate... So I have a few questions, is this resource guarding? He only does it with strangers, Chris and I can literally lay on top of him, push him, etc. on the couch and bed. Obviously we need to suspend his couch privileges, but how? How do we keep him off if he doesn't respond to the off command, which he apparently only responds to if food is in the mix. Should we do something like change in soda cans on the couch? Should we just keep him separated when we have company? We did hire a behaviorist about 2 years ago when we first adopted him, should I get her in again, or do you think this is something we can work on?

Guest carriej

We had a sort of issue like that with Kowalla, and our adoption group recommends to not let the dogs on the furniture - but with Kowalla there was no getting him off it so I let it be; plus I like the closeness.

The way the adoption group explained it to me (in regular terms) was that the couch was just so wonderful and they never had anything like that, so they feel the need to protect it fiercely for themselves. Usually not an issue unless there are strangers coming and going and/or small children. We are keeping Chance off the couches just in case my husband and I do decide to have children. However, Chance has started getting on the couch the last few days, and I have been beating two pop bottles together to get him off it. Seems extreme but this dog is afraid of nothing, bravest greyhound I ever met.

However it is a very hard habit to break if they are used to having the couches... We used to buy that non-slip rubber matt stuff (it has like, little spikey rubber nipples all over it) and put it on the couches while we were at work to keep them off it. Worked until I got tired of putting it on the furniture and gave up and just let them on it. However, we have new furniture now and I would prefer that Chance sleeps on his bed...

Guest Clawsandpaws

It sounds like resource guarding. Keep a leash on him a drag him off firmly, but gently.

I have done this before on the bed, and he screamed like I was killing him. Should I do it anyways? I know he is dramatic, I just don't want to traumatize him :( ETA: It would be EXTREMELY difficult to keep him off the bed, and since we would never have strangers in the bed (I HOPE, geez) would allowing him to be on the bed but not couch be counter-productive?

We had a sort of issue like that with Kowalla, and our adoption group recommends to not let the dogs on the furniture - but with Kowalla there was no getting him off it so I let it be; plus I like the closeness.

The way the adoption group explained it to me (in regular terms) was that the couch was just so wonderful and they never had anything like that, so they feel the need to protect it fiercely for themselves. Usually not an issue unless there are strangers coming and going and/or small children. We are keeping Chance off the couches just in case my husband and I do decide to have children. However, Chance has started getting on the couch the last few days, and I have been beating two pop bottles together to get him off it. Seems extreme but this dog is afraid of nothing, bravest greyhound I ever met.

However it is a very hard habit to break if they are used to having the couches... We used to buy that non-slip rubber matt stuff (it has like, little spikey rubber nipples all over it) and put it on the couches while we were at work to keep them off it. Worked until I got tired of putting it on the furniture and gave up and just let them on it. However, we have new furniture now and I would prefer that Chance sleeps on his bed...

I just don't want to scare him so much that it makes him insecure. He is VERY sensitive, and lately he seems to be becoming a little insecure, but I do NOT want this behavior to continue/worsen. I guess the issue started when we bought a sofa AND loveseat. Originally, he could only be on the couch alone or with one of us, and he would just never get up with guests as there wasn't enough room... I love having him on the couch and bed with me, it's just going to be hard. I might try the non slip mats

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Who you let in your bed is your business. :hehe If you're not having issues with the bed, then I wouldn't bother keeping him off. As for the screaming, stop pulling, but keep just a bit of tension on the leash when he screams, but remain totally calm. Once he stops screaming, start gently pulling again. You want to be firm, and by firm I mean sure in your actions and don't give in. I don't mean to be rough with him. He needs to learn that you're not trying to hurt him, but that you aren't going to give in if he screams and he's not hurt. If he learns that he gets what he wants when he screams, he may start to do it to manipulate you. Also, don't lure him off with the treat, but you can give him a treat once he's off to say "good boy" for listening to me.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Who you let in your bed is your business. :hehe If you're not having issues with the bed, then I wouldn't bother keeping him off. As for the screaming, stop pulling, but keep just a bit of tension on the leash when he screams, but remain totally calm. Once he stops screaming, start gently pulling again. You want to be firm, and by firm I mean sure in your actions and don't give in. I don't mean to be rough with him. He needs to learn that you're not trying to hurt him, but that you aren't going to give in if he screams and he's not hurt. If he learns that he gets what he wants when he screams, he may start to do it to manipulate you. Also, don't lure him off with the treat, but you can give him a treat once he's off to say "good boy" for listening to me.

Teehee. AHEM, but if he doesn't have issues with his people (bf and I) on the couch, should we just keep him off when strangers are over? Or will that confuse him too much... I will try DO the leash thing. He is just so STUBBORN. It is just hard to force him to do things without luring because he is so sensitive he will act skittish and panicky if we are "rough" and I put that in quotations because Dudley's definition of "rough" treatment is if I accidentally drop something loud in his presence, or bump into him.

I don't drag -- that can make dog feel even more insecure and apt to guard. I teach "Off!" under normal circumstances (nobody else on couch). If pup isn't listening, I'll clap my hands loudly before giving the command, then "Off!", then if necessary (in the very beginning) start running away. I don't lure but do reward nicely.

Until you're sure he'll listen, I'd get him off the sofa when friends are coming.

Once you ARE sure he'll listen, then you can start having friends who are on couch while dog is on couch toss a few bits of cheddar cheese, poached chicken, freeze-dried liver -- really good stuff -- his way. "Oh, wow, these people are encroaching on my spot but they've brought TREATS! How cool is that???!" Usually doesn't take long for dog to relax about it.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I don't drag -- that can make dog feel even more insecure and apt to guard. I teach "Off!" under normal circumstances (nobody else on couch). If pup isn't listening, I'll clap my hands loudly before giving the command, then "Off!", then if necessary (in the very beginning) start running away. I don't lure but do reward nicely.

Until you're sure he'll listen, I'd get him off the sofa when friends are coming.

Once you ARE sure he'll listen, then you can start having friends who are on couch while dog is on couch toss a few bits of cheddar cheese, poached chicken, freeze-dried liver -- really good stuff -- his way. "Oh, wow, these people are encroaching on my spot but they've brought TREATS! How cool is that???!" Usually doesn't take long for dog to relax about it.

The treat thing will probably work well for us, since he is so food motivated, and it brings to light that he has NEVER has these issues if we are all eating food, because we give him stuff (PIZZA BONES! In fact, I just asked the bf if last time we had pizza, and we didn't, we usually have pizza) our friend is over every week for football, so I would like for him to be comfortable. I don't want to band aid the situation. I think I will keep him off for now. I just have to make sure my friend is willing to be a guinea pig...

As far as off, I have found that Dudley kind of shuts down when he senses we are upset, and I don't know how to make both the bf and I feel completely calm in these situations. Dudley does not respond well to stress I am finding :( he knows off when we are in happy fun time training mode :(

Two tricks to help get around the stress effect:

1. Practice a LOT when unstressed. Do it a couple times a day, for so many days that you start to resent the 2.2 minutes it takes (:lol -- not really resent but you know what I mean).

2. Make yourself drop/relax your shoulders and smile when in those tense situations. It is harder to be/sound tense when you're grinning like an idiot.

Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Two tricks to help get around the stress effect:

1. Practice a LOT when unstressed. Do it a couple times a day, for so many days that you start to resent the 2.2 minutes it takes ( :lol -- not really resent but you know what I mean).

2. Make yourself drop/relax your shoulders and smile when in those tense situations. It is harder to be/sound tense when you're grinning like an idiot.

Best luck!

Thank you :) I will keep you guys updated. I will start tonight! As soon as I finish this paper that is due in 3 hours... I am totally NOT procrastinating right now...

Do NOTs: Really the only thing is, I try to keep the dog from feeling like he needs to guard. If he guards sofas from strangers, I'll put him somewhere else when strangers come over until I feel we've worked on the problem enough to try mixing things up. I don't want the dog to fail, if that makes any sense -- I don't want the dog to be in the position where he feels frustrated and I feel frustrated with him.

There are times when I might respond to some tense body language or a growl with a firm "Eaaaaaaaaaasyyyyyyyyyy" to kinda break the dog's focus on the problem -- but I really don't like to punish for guarding in most cases.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Do NOTs: Really the only thing is, I try to keep the dog from feeling like he needs to guard. If he guards sofas from strangers, I'll put him somewhere else when strangers come over until I feel we've worked on the problem enough to try mixing things up. I don't want the dog to fail, if that makes any sense -- I don't want the dog to be in the position where he feels frustrated and I feel frustrated with him.

There are times when I might respond to some tense body language or a growl with a firm "Eaaaaaaaaaasyyyyyyyyyy" to kinda break the dog's focus on the problem -- but I really don't like to punish for guarding in most cases.

I'm gonna try my best. I hope he is receptive. I don't understand what has been going on with him lately. These are behaviors that have started very recently, within the last couple of months. I hope it doesn't develop into a more serious issue. I like to show him off to everyone that comes over!

You can always clip a leash on (most dogs get up when somebody comes to the door altho some don't :lol , and most will stay at your side while on leash) or even slip his kennel muzzle on if you want to show him off but aren't sure how he'll respond initially. Not a substitute for training but a way to keep everybody safe on the occasions where you don't want to put him away. FWIW, I have known some dogs who could get snippy about couch space if they were there first but who did fine if "Off!" and then allowed back up once the people had chosen their spots; I still recommend some "hey, people on the couch are good!" training tho.

I forget how long you've had him but sometimes they continue to change and adjust over the first year in a home.

If he gets worse or starts doing things that surprise you in a not-so-good way, that you can't explain, thorough vet check wouldn't hurt.

Guest Clawsandpaws

He is going in for an annual soon, and Mark (Beachbum on GT) mentioned to do a thyroid panel along with a good old blood work up.

He raises his hackles when an absolute stranger comes in the house, but we are losers so that happens very rarely, but we will work on it. The space here is so limited that I don't feel leashing would be effective. We will definitely do the training suggested, I don't want a band aid solution, Dudley will enjoy the food=good people part though, although I will always feel more comfortable if he simply does not get on the couch anymore.

We have had Dudley for almost two years, we moved into this new apt about a year ago, and only started having people come over consistently once football started.

We are starting training tonight. First step, positive association with being on the bed instead of the couch.

unnamed_zps219d88c1.jpg

OK, do I would say DO NOT drag him off the couch. This will make him more defensive as other people have said. Yes to training in calm situations. Instead of just training 'off' does he have a 'got to your bed' command ? I've found that really useful and I can send Barbie to her bed with tradies having the front door open and she doesn't move :) not sure how I got her to be so reliable, it just happened.

Guest Clawsandpaws

OK, do I would say DO NOT drag him off the couch. This will make him more defensive as other people have said. Yes to training in calm situations. Instead of just training 'off' does he have a 'got to your bed' command ? I've found that really useful and I can send Barbie to her bed with tradies having the front door open and she doesn't move :) not sure how I got her to be so reliable, it just happened.

I don't think Sambuca meant to literally drag him off the couch, lol. I will use common sense, but if I can't get him off the couch any other way, I may have to put his leash and collar on and gently get him to get up and off. Don't worry, I am pretty in tune to Dudley's feelings and I would never intentionally push him in a negative way. He does have all those commands, but when push comes to shove (ie: stressful situations) he doesn't respond well, so I know that means the training is not sufficient, we will work on it. Dudley is just not reliable unless food is in the mix. :(

Yes, greyhounds can be a pain in terms of 'well what is in it for me' kind of thinking in training, traning Barbie has been very similar to the training I have done with my cat(the cat sits, jumps up and across to bits of furniture I point to, but only if I have noms for her!). I have been working on withdrawing food treats and replacing with life rewards a-la Ian Dunbar.... but yes with hounds it is a tough job. Looking back I think Barbie derived some kind of 'life reward' from being on her own bed. Perhaps she learned that when she was there noone would intrude on her space, whereas on the couch she sometimes got petted when she just wanted to sleep haha.

I am also thinking that if some of your regular visitors worked with him with treats where possible for whatever his easier behaviours are, then they will bond with him and he will be more likely to take direction with them around?

The "go to your bed" is a good suggestion too. You can start that one without even giving a command -- just randomly drop treats on his bed (whether he's on it or not) over a couple days until you notice that he's starting to go look there at random times. Then (while continuing to drop treats on his bed) add the command and keep practicing.

Three times in 7.5 years I have heard Sammi growl at non strangers (humans... a rambunctious 18 mo old husky is different :lol). Strange men at the door, she does not like AT ALL.... and if they have a white shirt & black tie on, she turns into a hound from hell and goes ballistic.

1~ Newly in our home, she was laying on my bed, and on DS's blankie. He went to get his blankie and before he even tugged it, she growled at him. I spun around, looked her right in the eye and growled, "OFF!" and instantly removed her from my bed. She wasn't allowed on it for 3 days/nights. Never guarded my bed again.

2~ Shortly after that, she tried guarding the couch. I growled, "OFF" back at her, she didn't budge. Just stared back. I touched her collar, she realized I was serious and jumped down. Never guarded the couch again.

Fast forward 6+ years...

3~ The morning after she had fallen down the stairs at DF's, she was scared at the top and he picked her up with the intent to carry her down. She growled, he changed his mind. Quickly. Wasn't guarding tho, it was terror, I think.

I've had other breeds and a foster grey all try to guard MY furniture, and I don't let it fly. That is MY furniture, not theirs. I allow them on it, they do not get to choose who they allow up. Everyone but the stubborn rockheaded husky/GSD mix took one time of being removed from the furniture to get the point across who owns it. She took 3 or 4 with the couch. With the bed... I lost count. She hated my (now ex)H on it. Maybe she was telling me something, tho.... :P

Edited by Gryffenne

Guest Clawsandpaws

FYI/Update: Thanks for saving me a couple hundred dollars guys ;) I spoke to the behaviorist I used when we first adopted Dudley and she basically told me that she thought you all were right, and then if I don't see improvement after working on all those things I should call her back so she can do an observation.

I am too poor to be this paranoid ;)