Dog Breath Solution?

Guest RMarie

Bad breath is usually a plaque/tooth problem or sometimes a stomach problem. I wouldn't waste money on it. Brush teeth daily,use a good oral rinse/spray. As with people, it's the only way to get rid of or at least lessen bad breath. A healthy mouth is a fresh mouth. Professional teeth cleaning as necessary. There are no shortcuts for this issue. I know from experience with some pretty foul mouths; they could light up a room with it! Good luck.

I have an odd issue with Ozzie...his breath itself doesn't smell but his SALIVA does. Not like a stinky dog mouth though - stinks like people morning breath. His saliva seems very...thick too.

No idea what causes it or how to remedy it. He gets his teeth brushed with Vetzlife gel every night.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Dogs with good oral health should not have bad breath. Bad breath is the result of bacteria in the mouth accumulating thanks to plaque and tartar. Brushing daily is the most important thing for your dog's oral health. It is absolutely necessary for it to be done daily because plaque begins to harden into tartar within 24 hours. You can also use dental foods or treats in addition to, however it is my experience that these do not make a big difference on their own. For patients who will not allow mom/dad to brush their teeth I will recommend Healthy Mouth to them. Healthy Mouth is the only water additive or gel that I will currently recommend. As of this time it is the only product to have clinical trials proving its efficacy and safety. I have quite a few patients on it and clients are all quite happy with it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Krissy, any thoughts on Ozzie's thick saliva? Like I said, if he breathes on me his breath doesn't smell, but, if he licks my hand, it smells like human morning breath.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Krissy, any thoughts on Ozzie's thick saliva? Like I said, if he breathes on me his breath doesn't smell, but, if he licks my hand, it smells like human morning breath.

Well, without seeing him I can't say much. I do sometimes see pets that have a very thick saliva as a result of dental disease... usually it's cats and their mouths smell just rank. Lovely. Have you tried brushing his teeth with just a good quality pet toothpaste instead of the gel?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We've used the CET toothpaste as well. His teeth and gums look fantastic. In addition to brushing he gets at least one turkey neck a week. Never any bleeding from brushing or chewing either.

I like the Vetzlife gel because it is minty smelling and he REALLY likes it too - will lick the toothbrush and try to take it from me to run off and nibble on it.

Guest AngelPup

Hmm, It could work, but I don't like the fact that they don't have any real info on the products, (i.e., ingredients, studies, etc.). Plus, you still need to brush their teeth, so it's another step. My dogs Love CET enzymatic poultry toothpaste. I typically brush their teeth as thoroughly as I can and then let them lick the brush once I'm done. I'm not sure if that helps keep their breath fresh, but it could.

I also put the CET water additive in their bowl daily. I honestly can't tell if that is working or not, but it's supposted to keep plaque away and freshen breath. Brady never had bad breath, but our new girl does. I think that has more to do with the fact that she licks her privates a LOT and the vet said she has a bit of vaginitis, so that might be the cause of it. ? In any case, I haven't heard anyone complain about her breath the past couple of days, so maybe the CET additive does help?

I have the CET rince too, but haven't used it yet. I wanted to see if I noticed a difference with the water additive first.

Anyone have experience with the CET products, particularly the water additive and rince? If so, have you noticed an improvement with your dog's oral health?

Edited by AngelPup