Alone Training Step By Step?

Guest MrsKuchta

Guest MrsKuchta

Roobie is starting to show signs of mild anxiety when I leave. She whined for about 20 minutes of the 35 minutes I was gone at the store yesterday (I set up a camera to see.)

She is crated currently while we are at work, due to some cats who we can't contain and who she still is a little too curious about. Someone comes at lunch to let her out. And I leave her lots of toys to play with while we are gone. She doesn't tear up her crate, just whines and howls.

So, I want to do some alone training since I am home today. Does anyone have a good step-by-step program to do this? Or an article I could read?

Guest laura150

I don't have a step by step guide but Ernie had some mild SA when we first brought him home. We didn't put him in his crate, he had free reign of the living room and kitchen (we closed doors to all other rooms) but it should be the same when you crate her. I would say 'see you later' (didn't make a fuss of leaving, just simply said see you later) then walk out the door. I'd latch it shut with the key, wait a minute, then walk back in. I wouldn't pet him when he came up, I'd ignore him. In a couple of minutes, I'd do the same thing, say see you latch the door, wait 2 minutes, come back in and ignore him. I did that for 5, 10, 20, 30, 60, 120, so on. We set up a video camera to see his first few days of SA training and he'd pace, pant and eventually settle down. We did this over a long weekend for a bunch of sessions each day and finally he got so bored of me leaving and coming back, he stopped caring.

My husband and I are routine people and he has the same routine M-F so he knows when we're leaving and he couldn't care less.

Some of it may be that Roobie doesn't realize that you'll always come back for her. Once she knows that, she'll settle down.

Here's an article about it too: http://www.recycledracers.org/FAQ/greyhound-care-manual.html#leaving

Kongs were my best friend when I first got Ace. They were something she received only when I was leaving.

I bought the XL size red ones. Fill with pieces of kibble, seal the big end off with a little bit of peanut butter. Keep at the ready in the freezer.

When I would have to leave, I would grab one from the freezer and crate Ace. The treat is so exciting she would hardly notice I was leaving, and then by the time she was done with it, she was tired and would sleep.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MrsKuchta

Kongs were my best friend when I first got Ace. They were something she received only when I was leaving.

I bought the XL size red ones. Fill with pieces of kibble, seal the big end off with a little bit of peanut butter. Keep at the ready in the freezer.

When I would have to leave, I would grab one from the freezer and crate Ace. The treat is so exciting she would hardly notice I was leaving, and then by the time she was done with it, she was tired and would sleep.

I gave her a Kong this morning. The PB wasn't frozen, but I'm hoping it works out for at least a little while. I'm going to order some more so we have them to keep in the freezer. I was a little worried about the PB, I'm assuming it's safe for them to eat? She's still having a bit of diarrhea, so I was worried about making it worse...

There is a booklet--"I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. Amazon.com carries it. They may even have an e-book at this point.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

PB for most dogs is fine in that small of a quantity. I know Roobie has had some diarrhea issues so the PB might not help your cause there at the moment.

Some people like to use the low sodium Jif.

Freezing it just makes them have to work harder to get through it :)

Other people will seal it off with yogurt or cottage cheese and then freeze. It helps to put the Kong in a cup with the big opening facing up so that the yogurt or cottage cheese will freeze without making a mess in your freezer.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--