Foster With Broke Toe

Guest Addie

I have a one year old foster with broke toes and I'm just wondering if anyone knows any sort of rehab I could try to help him use his foot better. When I got him I was just told to have him walk on it and it needed to get stronger. I took him with to London's k9 massage and laser treatment. She used the cold laser on his foot and (for free since he is a rescue :) ) and she sold me an exercise disk for at cost (picture below) to help get him to strengthen the ligaments and stand on his foot better. I'm just wondering if maybe a therapaw boot may help him too? The vet he saw also mentioned a carpal fusion, but he does use the foot.

Here he is on the ball, hes so smart he learned how to stand on it after two nights of working with him for just a few minutes!!!!!

1375663_725836360779903_1353673520_n.jpg

Here is a more close up of the ball

1374162_725836367446569_789871844_n.jpg

Here is how he stands on his foot

1376560_725835927446613_2098582506_n.jpg

Guest Scarter55

Our Lady broke a toe when she was just a little puppy. We were just told to give her painkillers and keep her from exerting herself too much in order to not aggrevate/reinjure it. Good luck!

Looks like there was some ligament damage along with the fractures. The exercise ball is worth a try, but his foot may always stay 'flat' like that. I'm assuming he limps on it? How long ago did the breaks happen? It looks like the problem is in the ligaments of his foot, so not sure how a carpal (wrist) fusion would help?

Scarter55, honestly, I can't imagine recommending pain meds and restricted activity for life for a broken toe as a puppy. If the toe continued to be a problem, it'd be better to just amputate it and let the dog live a normal life. JMO...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Does look like ligament damage. If I had a toe issue I would take the grey to the Vet that my rescue works with and go with his advice. He deals with lots of broken toes, though I think most of them get amputated.

Guest Scarter55

JJNg, it wasn't a long term solution, just until it healed. I think they determined it wasn't a serious break, and would heal, which it did. Her toes look slightly different on that foot, but it doesn't impact her gait at all.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood, Scarter55. I think the OP is dealing with healed fractures and the dog still isn't walking normally on the foot, so I had longer term management options on my mind.

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Yes, he does limp on it. Its kind of sad since he so young and full of energy! I guess he did see a vet for it in his first foster home and they just said to have him walk on it for strengthening. They also said something about a therapaw for him too.

The woman who sold it to me said it could help strengthen the ligaments in his feet that he is not using correctly. She also thought hydro therapy could help (but I don't know of any around here) I bet he will get terrible arthritis from it in the near future maybe? I was almost thinking that maybe it should be amputated if its just going to be painful but that's not my call since hes a foster. He does use it but would rather hold it up most of the time and when he runs you would never know anything was wrong.

Which toe(s) did he break? All of the toes on that foot look 'flat' from ligament damage except maybe the outside toe. Not sure if amputation would help since it doesn't look like a single toe that's the problem, but pretty much his whole foot.

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg