Harnesses

Guest kalzanetti

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I went to a harness after my first grey pulled out of his martingale after I had him for 2 weeks and he was loose. It took him less than 2 secs, he just pulled against me, twisted his head and gave another tug and he was out - it was so quick and it was like he knew what to do as he may have done it before. But these guys can startle or shy so quickly when you first get them, a plastic or paper bag blows in the wind and it just scares them and their fear reflex kicks in. Anyway that was 12 years ago when I went to a harness and haven't looked back.

I think that you have to pick either a harness or a collar and stick with it - as "feel" different to the dog when walking on leash so they need to learn to walk with it. Mine don't pull, but can when we are in the woods trailing something interesting. I like that it has a connecting strap that acts as a handle so that I can get ahold of if I need to lift/support him - it is very helpful when teaching stairs. I got mine at Petsmart, and the other is Wiggles wags and whiskers - they are both constructed similarly in that you have to lift one of the dogs legs to get the strap that goes between his front legs into place than you close the circle around his body with the strap with a snap connector. I bought another at Petsmart that I do not use because you have to put the dogs two feet into the two loops before you pull it onto the dog and clip it on. It was a secure harness, but was a little more cumbersome in putting on and taking off. Keep in mind that a dog can get out of a harness but it takes longer and you have time to gain control of him before he can escape. Do make sure that the harness is properly fitted so that it does not chaff them in their underarm area plus is snug enough so that it is secure. The Wiggles wags and whiskers is padded with a velvety type material and costs more but may be more comfortable for them.

I use both for both our hounds. The rescue gave us the harnesses and said they were used to walking with them.

We immediately got them collars.... I think a dog on a harness will pull you all over the planet.

Now we use both when we walk them.... the harness and the collar. We use a splitter lease that connects to both. It pulls the collar more than the harness. The harness at this point is just for peace of mind that if they pull out of their collar, there is the harness there for Plan B.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala