Touchy Tummy- Will Not Eat

Guest debster

Guest debster

Hello,

My Talos has been having tummy issues lately. Here's a quick history:

-Was throwing up when he was in his prison training program in June. They gave him antibiotics and rest. It cleared up within a week

-Threw up bile when I first adopted him 3 weeks ago; chalked it up to nerves and a general "watch what you give him"

-Threw up bile two days ago immediately after waking up.

-Had breakfast yesterday and threw up six times. Each puke was more and more yellow

Obviously, with the throwing up six times thing, I took him in to the vet. Since he was all wags and had no swollen or tender areas, they recommended to take him off all treats and give him just his kibble. They also recommended 5mg of Pepcid at night. Because of the number of times he threw up yesterday, they gave him fluids to keep him hydrated just in case.

Other facts:

-the throwing up happens in the morning

-a fecal was run on July 31 and it was negative

-his current food is Nature's Domain, turkey and sweet potato flavor

-generally has a great appetite and no problems with eating in the evenings

-no diarrhea until this morning; very small amount and I suspect that's whatever his body kept down from yesterday morning.

-He is 2.5 years old so it shouldn't be age related.

What I'm thinking is that his stomach is creating a lot of acid when he's asleep, and that's what's made him throw up occasionally. Could stress be creating this acid? I was gone for a long time the day before he had his big pukefest.

Anyway, he's not wanting to eat this morning. Last night he had some kibble and kept it down ok, but only had half of what his normal dinner is. What can I do that can gently get him to eat (rice? plain pumpkin? boiled chicken?)? And, for those of you with dogs that seem to have more touchy stomachs than usual: Does this tend to come in bouts? Has anyone used pepcid with good results?

I'm probably more concerned than I need to be but I've only had him for 3 weeks and he's my first doggie.

Anyway, a bit of advice would be appreciated. Talos thanks you!

935862_10100186016174602_1340295937_n.jp

Edited by debster

What a beautiful boy and such a great picture!

Throwing up bile before breakfast is usually indicative of an upset tummy from empty stomach - try giving some treat/cookies before he goes to sleep and see if it improves. Some new dogs might get worked up right before their breakfast because they get excited that's it's "almost time" to eat. If the cookie at night doesn't help, try giving a cookie first thing in the morning, right when he gets up.

You could also add some cooked rice to the food with cooked hamburger but, that could get him too used to "good stuff" and make him a picky eater later on.

If the vomiting continues, then he needs to go back to the vet or if diarrhea starts also go back to vet. If there is blood in the diarrhea or vomit, then back to vet ASAP.

Guest debster

I've done food at night and first thing in the morning. Thing is with two days ago, he threw up immediately after getting out of his crate.

He is very excitable. I wonder if that has a role.

There was a small bit of diarrhea this morning, probably of what remained in his stomach from yesterday morning. I'm cooking some rice right now for him... I don't have instant white so the spoiled pup is getting arborio. I called the vet to make sure that type was ok. They did say that if he's not eating by this afternoon to take him back in.

Guest PiagetsMom

I wish I had the answer for you - it can be frustrating and worrisome, I know. Hope your handsome Talos gets his stomach on track very soon! :grouphug

Guest debster

Oh my goodness, ya'll :rolleyes:

He refused the food with rice, and then I got an idea. He wasn't eating his breakfast because I gave it to him outside his crate. As soon as I put it in his crate and acted like normal he went and ate it.

I guess those are the rules. Such a polite young man :hehe

I'll let you know in a few minutes if he's kept it down or not. Fingers crossed.

Guest sireltonsmom

You might consider a gradual change away from turkey food - many of my dogs had the puke reaction to it and especially to the real thing. What food was he on before you got him? He may just be reacting to a whole change thing. Also, perhaps a half cup or so of food before bed might be good in case it is empty tummy issue. His whole life has changed in the last three weeks - we just got a prison trained boy (so far so good after a few days of figuring out the new life). Hang in there. He is gorgeous by the way. My Mindy has ears like his (she's a white and black). I LOVE those ears!

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Guest Doggone

He is gorgeous!

I don't have any advice other than if Autumn's tummy is acting up, when she's ready to eat again, I start her with boiled rice, boiled chicken breast with a bit of low-sodium chicken broth to make it easy to slurp up. Once she's fine with that, I gradually add in her kibble, and eventually she's onto just kibble again. She doesn't throw up, nor does she get diarrhea, but she stops eating and her tummy " roars"! :(

I'll give her a pepto tablet to settle her, and that seems to work. If she were throwing up, I'd probably go onto using Pepcid or Prilosec, but so far, it looks more like occasional upset vs. reflux.

Good luck :)

Guest debster

You might consider a gradual change away from turkey food - many of my dogs had the puke reaction to it and especially to the real thing. What food was he on before you got him? He may just be reacting to a whole change thing. Also, perhaps a half cup or so of food before bed might be good in case it is empty tummy issue. His whole life has changed in the last three weeks - we just got a prison trained boy (so far so good after a few days of figuring out the new life). Hang in there. He is gorgeous by the way. My Mindy has ears like his (she's a white and black). I LOVE those ears!

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

That's something I'm definitely going to keep in mind. Turkey does seem to be a bit more of an acidic meat.

His ears do that when he is very excited or focused. I got that shot while we were playing catch the kibble :)

Thanks everyone for the great replies and suggestions! He's kept his breakfast down today and there haven't been any poops since.

Guest debster

Okay. We had a poop tonight.

Foreign object. Looks like cartilage or plastic, in the formation of something kind of like laces on a football but thicker. I have absolutely no clue where it came from; every toy he has has no small parts or things that could be ripped off and digested. There are also no childrens' toys in my house, nothing he could have possibly grabbed and eaten.

Is it possible that he could have accidentally ingested something during the prison program, giving him stomach issues for about a month and a half until it worked its way out?

Is it possible that he could have accidentally ingested something during the prison program, giving him stomach issues for about a month and a half until it worked its way out?

Yes, it's possible. Happened to one of mine years ago. I hope all is well now. And I too am a goner for that face and those ears! :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest debster

I apologize for not coming back earlier for an update! It's been busy lately.

Talos has had no issues since Thursday. I watched him like a hawk to make sure and at the first sign of anything amiss, he would have been in the ER, no questions asked.

Poops are harder, less gas and burping. No vomiting since. And he seems more cheerful as well.

Great news. I just read this thread now from the beginning and all I could think was holy crap this is very serious! A little bit of diarhea fine. But throwing up bile in an otherwise healthy dog should set off major alarm bells. So glad all is good now. Watch him like a hawk - this guy might eat a whole shoe if given the chance.

BTW fabulous looking fellow.