Diarrhea Before Travel

I woke up at 1 am to a loud gurgle coming from my poor little hound and turned on the light just in time to see her shoot out some liquid diarrhea before we could even think about getting up and making it outside. We went right out the door, and once outside she went quite a bit more. We are visiting my parents right now, so I woke them up so they could help me clean while I stayed outside walking the hound. This is happening one month after my parents installed really nice, ultra-plush carpeting, so there was a bit of a learning curve on what methods to use to get it cleaned up.

For the rest of the night, we'll be taking her out every hour or two to make sure she won't have to go in the house again, because it's pretty upsetting for my girl, even though no one reacted to the mess, and we cleaned it up while she was downstairs on the main floor of the house. The problem is that I had planned to drive 1100 miles with her tomorrow and Monday to go back to my house. The car is all packed, and our hotel is booked. I guess I have two options now: To give her some Imodium and have her fast a bit and go forward with our travel as planned tomorrow morning OR to postpone our drive until her stool is more solid. My best guess is that she's a bit nervous about all of the things getting packed up and has an upset stomach as a result. In all other ways, she's been acting perfectly normal. I just don't know what the best solution is because it would be horrible for her to end up having diarrhea as we drive along the interstate (not to mention for me and my car), but at the same time, waiting another day or two might make her more nervous. Can anyone offer any tips? Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Tough one. I'd probably fast and give her 24 hours to feel better before I started back.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest elliemae421

If you can get your hands on some Flagyl that would be awesome!

I am never without anymore! An awesome thing to even go on short trips with! :ohno

Well, I decided to go for it yesterday morning, and kept my fingers crossed that there wouldn't be any episodes of explosive diarrhea in the car. We made it back to my house early this afternoon, and all went smoothly, thank goodness! In the end, I decided that waiting another day or two would only agitate my girl even more, so I opted to have her fast and gave her an Imodium. I also made sure to stop and let her out every couple of hours to make sure she had the opportunity to go if there was a need to do so. Nothing like adding another element of stress to an already long trip, but looking back, I think I made the right choice. I will definitely ask her Vet if she can prescribe some flagyl, I can see how it would be a very handy thing to keep around.

I should probably add that my parents are absolute saints. Not only did they not freak out that there was dog diarrhea on their brand new carpet, but they also were extremely helpful on Sunday morning as we were getting ready to get out the door. My mom even boiled up some white rice to send along for my poor pup. All in all, I suppose this could have been worse.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Glad to hear the update. I kept thinking of your post, wondering what I would do in that situation, as I too have travel coming up this week. I would also probably have gone for it -- with fasting and Immodium, not much more activity likely.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad