Loose Stool With Lots Of Mucus?

For two days running someone at our house is having a poop accident in the kitchen in the morning -- loose stool with lots of mucus. As there are three greyhounds who could be the guilty party, knowing who needs the vet visit is hard to discern. I have finally decided to start with Fred, who is 6 1/2 years old, and has been with me since Hurricane Sandy last October.

Fred is possibly the sweetest and most gentle greyhound I have ever known. Yet recently he has been growling at his brother and sister, and snapping at them, and has even bitten Henry the AKC dog (not that Henry didn't deserve it) a few times. He has been eating well, but he is the only dog who didn't poop before I left for work yesterday and the day before, and the dogs who did poop had normal stools. Also, earlier this week, after I got home from work, and all the dogs had been out in the yard and had their dinners, Fred walked over to the front door, lifted his leg, and started to pee, which is just unheard of for him. I believe the back door slider was open at the time, and he could easily have gone out.

Kimba had an appointment for an annual checkup tomorrow, so I will take Fred instead and have rescheduled Kimba for next week.

I downloaded the tick panel form from NCSU and will have the vet draw the necessary bloods from Fred tomorrow, pack them with ice, and I'll drive them to FedEx for Monday delivery. I did not have a tick panel done for Fred when he came to me, and now I am really sorry that I did not. The other possibility that occurs to me is hookworms or some other intestinal parasite, but Fred's appetite has been totally normal. I think when Fred came we did a three part course of Panacur for him, three days in a row,l then three weeks later three days in a row, and finally three months later three days in a row. That would have been finished in February 2013. I will check with the vet tomorrow to make sure that it was him; with three I get confused. Fred also has had a recurrence of an eye irritation which is allergy related, we think; I have been giving him the eyedrops that we used the last time. He is such a darling and stands absolutely still to have the drops put in.

Can anyone else think of what might be causing a greyhound to lose bowel control like this?

For those who believe that dogs have the full spectrum of people emotions, I should mention that if I were Fred I would be very jealous of Henry. Despite being four years old, Henry is a rambunctious puppy, who bowls over everyone and everything in his path, and who horns in on anybody who is getting any attention. I am sure Fred is longing for the good old days before this giant monster hound came to stay!

And maybe I am wrong, and it is not Fred who is having these accidents. Kimba had been refusing her food for a few weeks, but now seems back on track, and the dogwalker who found the accident told me that Kimba had a normal movement on her mid morning walk; she also had a normal movement in the yard before I left for work.

Maybe a puppycam is the answer!

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Won't hurt to do a tick panel but tick-born disease doesn't often cause diarrhea. More likely parasites or some type of infection. Hope you can figure out who and why, and get it taken care of!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mucus & stool ='s colitis (inflammation of the gut). It could be caused by stress, food change or parasites. This is why flagyl (metronidazole) works so will with diarrhea. Metronidazole is technically an antibiotic but, it also has GI anti inflammatory and anti parasitic properties. Once you find the culprit vet visit in order-bring a fresh stool sample and most likely expect to have metronidazole dispensed ;-)

Well, if Fred was the guilty party, we are giving him Tylan and waiting for the results of his stool sample. Thanks so much for your help on this, Batmom and tbhounds. I am also going to set up a webcam so that I'll be able to see who is having problems going forward.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln