Can It Be The Food Or Wormer?

Guest Zizi

This morning's poop sounds better so I'd follow your plan of reducing food for a couple days and see how it goes.

FWIW, my newbie arrived weighing a plump 74-75 lbs (should be @ 65-67). She is getting 1 and 1/3 cups IAMS minichunks twice a day, plus a generous handful of training treats. She's losing weight ... slowly -- maybe 1/2 lb a week. I have had/known very nervous little girls who needed 4-6 cups/day to maintain weight during their first several months at home but it sounds like your girl is more of an easygoing type.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Zizi, it's important to remember, as others have said, that the second poop will ALWAYS be softer and it's perfectly normal. The first morning poop should be your standard. Poop firmness is entirely affected by how long it's been "in the pipeline." And at least with my hound, it is very clear to me that how firm the afternoon/evening poop(s) are is very dependent on how long the interval has been since the last morning poop. So DON'T stress about a second poop being softer -- so long as it is usually formed. If you took her on a long walk and she went a third time, it would be even worse!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest RMarie

Zizi, it's important to remember, as others have said, that the second poop will ALWAYS be softer and it's perfectly normal. The first morning poop should be your standard. Poop firmness is entirely affected by how long it's been "in the pipeline." And at least with my hound, it is very clear to me that how firm the afternoon/evening poop(s) are is very dependent on how long the interval has been since the last morning poop. So DON'T stress about a second poop being softer -- so long as it is usually formed. If you took her on a long walk and she went a third time, it would be even worse!

:nod:nod:nod

This morning's poop sounds better so I'd follow your plan of reducing food for a couple days and see how it goes.

FWIW, my newbie arrived weighing a plump 74-75 lbs (should be @ 65-67). She is getting 1 and 1/3 cups IAMS minichunks twice a day, plus a generous handful of training treats. She's losing weight ... slowly -- maybe 1/2 lb a week. I have had/known very nervous little girls who needed 4-6 cups/day to maintain weight during their first several months at home but it sounds like your girl is more of an easygoing type.

This little girl is not a bit nervous. Seriously I can't believe she isn't a little bit because everything is so new to her. She acts like she has been here her whole life. Pretty amazing to me. She does watch me like a hawk! Sometimes I wonder what she is thinking when she watches me so intently.

Well I feel we maybe on a good road here. Seems like what is going on right now is the norm.

Batmom I am using the large breed chunks. Don't think that would make any diffrence though.

Thanks everyone I'm still watching!

Large breed chunks have slightly fewer calories per volume so 1.5 cups twice a day is probably a good place to start.

Your girl sounds like a doll :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awesome! Hope she continues to do well :) .