Can It Be The Food Or Wormer?

Guest Zizi

Jerzi came home last Thursday night, of course we had pudding poo. She was being fed purina dog chow before here. I started her on iams green bag that night. On Saturday her poo was soft but had form. She had to have her dewormer on Sunday. She has sense gone back to the pudding.

The other things she has had in very small amounts have been peanut butter, small pieces of hot dogs used as treats (beef, pork and chicken mix) and milk bones. Not sure if any of these may not agree with her.

She takes her kibble as treats so as of today I have not giving her hot dogs or milk bones! Can this pudding be from dewormer? Is it to soon to tell if its her food?

Yes, too soon to tell if it's the food. Give it a few weeks, lay off the treats. If the poop improves, introduce treats back in one by one. The dewormer shouldn't have an effect either way unless she has a current worm infestation.

At first glance I thought this said "Can it be the food or the WOMEN?" and I expected there to be a cute picture. :dunno

Sorry... I wish that's what I was dealing with. Sounds like it would be easier! LoL

Yes, too soon to tell if it's the food. Give it a few weeks, lay off the treats. If the poop improves, introduce treats back in one by one. The dewormer shouldn't have an effect either way unless she has a current worm infestation.

I haven't had her to the vet yet for stool sample. The adoption group gave me the pills for her she had one does well in foster and the next 2 doses I am to give her. Should I have her checked now or wait till after her treatment.

If she's on a worming schedule and it sounds like she is, wait till after her treatment. If you suspect one of the treats could be a problem, you can use pieces of her kibble as treats for now :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

we had the same with Zeke, for 3 months until we got the worms out. But we suspected food too and (slowly, not overnight!) switched him to a lamb and rice kibble (from chicken). They're better now, not great, but better.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest driser

dewormer always gave our guy pudding poo, but he was indeed dealing with hookworm. BUT it also took us more than 6 months to nail down a food that worked for him.

Held off hot dog and milk bone treats all day yesterday, just used her kibble for treats. This a.m her poo is soft but formed. Can it happen that quick or is this a fluke?

Could be the dewormer, could be the treats, could be something else ..... :lol I would probably keep using the kibble as treats for a few days to make sure all is well, then reintroduce your treats one at a time (e.g., add one, give just that one for 3-4 days, if all is well then add in another .....).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well guess not to bad we had to soft but formed poops today, than now ahhhhhh not so much! Not as mushy as they have been but still wasn't excited to see it. Right! Who gets excited over seeing poo?

I am still just going to keep her on her kibble nothing else. I would like to wait to take her to vet after her next dewormer two weeks from Sunday. I think she will be ok till than. Really other than a general check up not to much the vet will do for her poo. Am I correct? I think it's just a wait game for now. Which is fine. Just like all the others I hate cleaning that stuff up! Just so messy.......

Thanks for all insight in this subject!

The one thing that is fairly common, can cause diarrhea, and most wormers don't treat is giardia. Usually dog will have diarrhea, tho.

Some dogs do better on one food than another.

How much are you feeding? If a bit over what she needs, that can contribute to soft poop, too.

Since she's just had some worming meds, I'd give it a few days and reassess. I tend not to worry too much if the dog isn't having to go out too many times and the poop is at least formed. But I know how annoying it is to pick up if it's not firm :lol .

The one thing that is fairly common, can cause diarrhea, and most wormers don't treat is giardia. Usually dog will have diarrhea, tho.

Some dogs do better on one food than another.

How much are you feeding? If a bit over what she needs, that can contribute to soft poop, too.

Since she's just had some worming meds, I'd give it a few days and reassess. I tend not to worry too much if the dog isn't having to go out too many times and the poop is at least formed. But I know how annoying it is to pick up if it's not firm :lol .

No diarrhea at all, she goes just 3 times a day. I was told by our adoption group to give her 2 cups a.m and 2 cups p.m for now. To be honest I took her advice and never read what was recommended on the dog food bag. What should I follow If the bag says differently.

Just checked the bag recommended feeding chart it say 60lb feed 2 1/2 to 3 cups daily. Am I giving her to much food? Could that be it?

If she's fresh off the track, she could probably stand to gain a few pounds. So I think 2 and 2 is probably okay. Also, another thing to mention is that, morning poops tend to be the firmest, and then they get softer throughout the day. Especially if you're leash-walking her to potty, or if she's running around beforehand, that can contribute to softer poops.

Could be. Might be worth trying a cup and a half or a cup and a third, twice a day, for 3-4 days and see if that helps. Over just those few days she won't lose much weight if she does need more.

They don't necessarily need to gain any :) . Depends on the dog. Some racing kennels keep their dogs on the lean side, some medium, and some on the plump side.

Also not unusual for the first poop of the day to be firmer than others later in the day. Or for the first poop of a walk to be firmer than other poops on the same walk.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I agree on trying to cut back the food a bit. If she raced at 58 I bet she's just perfect at 60. She didn't look overly thin in in the pictures you posted (mine raced around 56-57 and looks perfect at 58-59). Four cups is quite a lot for a female that size. And you'd see the difference it made in poop within a day or two.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I agree on trying to cut back the food a bit. If she raced at 58 I bet she's just perfect at 60. She didn't look overly thin in in the pictures you posted (mine raced around 56-57 and looks perfect at 58-59). Four cups is quite a lot for a female that size. And you'd see the difference it made in poop within a day or two.

Will cutting back firm it up some? I don't want to starve her by any means and after reading what the bag recommends I see there is room to play with. Personally I do not think she looks that thin at all. But I am a newbie at this. I guess the adoption group thought she looked thin and that is why they said 4 cups daily!

If it is loose because they are getting more than their body can process, yes cutting it back will help. If it doesn't help, you know the issue is something else. But it's something you'd want to find out before you go worrying about switching foods.

The idea that a greyhound needs to gain a chunk of weight after racing circulates around; it may be true in some cases but often it isn't. And an amount of added weight that might be OK on a big boy would be ridiculous excess on a small girl. Plenty of pet greyhounds are too fat. If you want experts to weigh in on her current weight post some pictures of your girl that show her physique clearly in a new thread and lots of people will.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Her race weight was 58 lbs. she is now 60lbs is there an average amount of weight they should gain after racing?

Not really. Some need to gain a few, others don't. You can usually tell by looking at the ribs and hip plates. My boy was very thin when he came to me. Here's a before and after.

d190c293-7c55-4280-8935-7be19750aed9_zps

9602e705-bae2-44ed-944c-ff576267d625_zps

Not really. Some need to gain a few, others don't. You can usually tell by looking at the ribs and hip plates. My boy was very thin when he came to me. Here's a before and after.d190c293-7c55-4280-8935-7be19750aed9_zps9602e705-bae2-44ed-944c-ff576267d625_zps

Wow he looks great!

I'm going to cut it back to 1 1/2 cup 2 times a day I think. Her first poo this a.m was PERFECT! About 10 minutes later she went again that one was soft. No pudding though. Yaaaaaa.

After this descriptive thread does it sound like the food maybe working for her? I know it is soon to tell. She has been with us 1 week today and been eating Iams green bag. I'm hoping that her improving a little is a good sign that her food will work! I do not want to go through the changing food gig if I can help it! Of course I would do it for Jerzi in a heart beat but it will be nice if I don't have to!

Thanks to all for guiding through this.

Also still just using kibble for treats.