Peeing - Are The Old Accidents Spots Causing It In The New Dog?

Guest Frannie

Guest Frannie

Yurtie has been with me since March. Just when I think we have mastered housebreaking, I get proven otherwise. Here's a little bit of back story.

I have a lovely Persian rug (it's man-made, so it isn't worth thousands; just very pretty.) My old dog, Hoss, was incontinent toward the end of his life and until I put a belly band on him he was having accidents on the rug. My girl, Mable, still with me at 13, frequently gets urinary tract infections (she is on a second antibiotic right now; the one that was supposed to work didn't.) so she has "goofs" too.

I was reading a very similar thread from someone else here, but it stopped in January so I don't know if it's okay to start a new one. I hope so. Their walk/potty schedule is as follows:

6:30-7:15--out of bed, walk

8:00--breakfast

8:15-9:15--hang out with mom, nap (thought I'd throw this in their because the accidents never happen during this period)

9:15-9:45--walk

mom leaves for work

2:00--home for lunch, walk

6:30-7:00--home from work, walk

eight or 9 PM--supper (I know it's late, but they are okay with that)

11:00--potty break before bed

I probably go through upwards of 2 1/2 gallons of nature's miracle per month. I use every kind they make--the regular, the extra strength, and the stuff that's made just for urine. The Persian rug has so many old accident places on it that I wonder if the dogs' noses are still picking up the scent, even though the poor carpet has been doused within an inch of its life with nature's miracle (as has the pad underneath it and the floor underneath that) and there is no smell to a human nose.

I don't think it's marking that he does. I've caught him in the act once or twice, either finishing up a full tinkle or starting one, in which case I interrupt him and get right outside. I also think I can identify whose puddles belong to whom. Hers are small, his are ample and cover a lot of area.

Yurtie started out in a crate, and slowly graduated (or so I thought) to the kitchen with a baby gate up. the dogs hate being left in the kitchen, and I can't be guaranteed that there won't be a puddle when I get home. he has now come to hate the crate, after I tried putting him back in. Big mistake. I'm experienced with greyhounds. I should have known better. after he attempted to chew his way out of that, too, I took it down.

So my question is this:

At this point, do I need to bite the bullet and say goodbye to my favorite rug and buy a new one? Would a steam treatment help? I see that Petco carries do-it-yourself cleaners that you can put in carpet steamers. Do these work? In any event, I can't keep on scrubbing up accidents. It's hard on my arms and it's hard on my budget. Yurtie and Maple are darling dogs, and I'm not mad at them. I just want to solve this in a way that's kind to all of us.

thanks everyone!

Frannie, Mable and Yurtie

(& Angel pack Rain, Porgy, Henry, Cole, and Hoss)

Less likely to be accidents if the dog is where he feels comfortable and isn't stressed. Have you checked him for UTI also?

And now for the good news: You can send a rug out to be cleaned, and that is the best way to do it. Check your local Angie's List or ask around for a reputable firm. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Frannie

Yes, I had him checked for a UTI, and he's clear. I'm glad to hear that there are, in fact, good places to have a rug sent for cleaning. I'll start looking.

forgot to mention: he is given liver treats and a big hug every single time he pees outside. I know how important this is.

Guest Frannie

You can send a rug out to be cleaned, and that is the best way to do it.

The HSUS website has info on getting pee smells out of carpets, and it says specifically not to steam clean them since this will set the stain/odor permanently. So I'm hesitant. They suggest a wet vac. Anyone tried this?

I would talk to the cleaning service and see what they say. It's been some years since we had ours done but there was no problem -- it really got the carpet clean.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Frannie

thanks. I'm having a green cleaning service come to assess the rug tomorrow. I'm going to be very clear with them that these are urine stains. if it's cleanable, they will do it off-site. if it isn't, I will probably need to replace it.

I assume you mean the rug is MACHINE made and is therefore worth nothing in $$, particularly since it's already been peed on.

I'd toss it.

Also, try the urine removal powder for future incidents. I find it much better than liquids. Check it out at www.planeturine.com (just a satisfied customer, nothing else).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Frannie

it is machine made, but it cost me several hundred dollars (it is pure wool, imported, and very pretty.) However, the carpet cleaning guy who came to give me an estimate yesterday said it would cost me $400 to get it thoroughly cleaned. That seems like a lot, especially since I would have to pay extra to hire someone to move the piano off the rug and back onto it.

I never heard of the urine powder before. I'm intrigued. But it sounds like I may have to say goodbye to this pretty wrote, which is now essentially an 8 x 10' wee-wee pad :ohno . I foretell a journey to building 19 in my near future.

$400????! Where on earth are you? Ai yi yi yi yi ......

If you test a spot first to make sure the colors don't run, you could rent a steamer and do it yourself.

I've never, in many many years, had a dog pee repeatedly in an indoor spot because other dogs peed there. It happens, I'm sure, but no dog (once housetrained) has done it in any of my homes.

It really doesn't matter how much it cost. What matters is what it's WORTH now that it's a peed on rug. Which is zero. And not worth $400 to clean.

George peed a LAKE on my carpet at my old condo. I used, I kid you not, and entire gallon of Nature's Miracle, and it STILL smelled. I cried when I came home from work because the stench was overwhelming. Then I bought the kit from Planet Urine.

It took a while to dry (thanks to the added gallon of liquid I had poured on it!) but once it did, and I vacuumed it out, there was NO smell and no stain! I sold my condo a year later, and my realtor commented on the excellent condition of the carpeting! If she only knew...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when the buyer tore out the carpet to put in hardwood floors and found, no doubt, a HUGE stain on the concrete floor!

Cause it was the biggest pee stain I can even imagine!!!! He urine was dark orange at the time too. Yuck!!!

Give the stuff a try! It's not expensive, it's easy to use, and it may save your rug!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Frannie

$400????! Where on earth are you?

Boston. VERRRRRRY expensive Boston. If you don't live here, you can't even imagine!

Give the stuff a try!

I'd like to. Thanks George. But which of their products do I order? There are several options...

Guest Frannie

George--I just checked their site. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like I probably should order the Ultimate II System. Is that what you have? (Or did you start smaller?) Thanks again, Frannie

George--I just checked their site. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like I probably should order the Ultimate II System. Is that what you have? (Or did you start smaller?) Thanks again, Frannie

I'm sorry I didn't see this until just now.

Yes, I got the BIG kit! Having the black light is helpful for finding any pee you never knew about!

Good luck Frannie! PM me if you have any questions!

Susan

Hamish-siggy1.jpg