Virbac Recall On Iverhart Plus

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

When I adopted Zhivaya, the group uses Virbac Iverhart Plus, so that's what he had been getting for 6 months. They also gave me a 6-month supply, which he has been getting since he came home three months ago.

The great people at the adoption group contacted me to let me know that Virbac announced a recall on Iverhart Plus due to product instability (they will replace the unused pills with new ones). Here is the announcement taken from the Virbac website:

"Virbac has issued a voluntary recall for six lots of their heartworm prentive, Iverhart Plus Flavored Chewables, due to a failure to meet stability specifications during the life of the product.

The following lots have been included in the recall:

• Lot 120076 (Large 51-100 pounds)
  • Lot 120086 (Large 51-100 pounds)
  • Lot 120856 (Large 51-100 pounds)
  • Lot 120202 (Medium 26-50 pounds)
  • Lot 120196 (Small up to 25 pounds)
  • Lot 120844 (Small up to 25 pounds)

According to a Virbac letter obtained by petMD, the recalled lots met all of the specifications at the time of their release to distributers, but further product testing showed that the ivermectin potency failed to meet stability specifications during the life of the product.

The recalled lots may not fully protect dogs in the upper third of each weight range against heartworms. At the time of this letter, no heartworm-related adverse reactions or illnesses have been reported. "

The pills I have are from the Lot for the large (51-100 pounds). At 80 pounds, Zhivaya is in the upper third for the weight range.

My Q: Should I get Zhivaya tested for heartworm before giving him a new medicine? I want to be sure to do the right thing.

Thanks for your input.

I think I'd go ahead and get the heartworm test. If I've figured it right, you're probably about 9 months away from the previous test, so that just means this test is 3 months early. The test isn't dangerous and you'll have peace of mind--unless there's some problem, which is something you'd really need to know, anyway.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I think I'd go ahead and get the heartworm test. If I've figured it right, you're probably about 9 months away from the previous test, so that just means this test is 3 months early. The test isn't dangerous and you'll have peace of mind--unless there's some problem, which is something you'd really need to know, anyway.

Ditto. You for sure wouldn't want to give him a preventative if he had aquired heartworms. Better safe than sorry. I'd test again.