Shy Dogs

This is a rant/brag about my boy and a reminder for those with shy dogs, that things get better.

Background:

I've had Bu for 4.5 years. He'll be 7 in April. He was almost a spook when I got him. I would have to crawl in his crate to put a leash on him to bring him outside for months. He barely ate at first, even at home. Then he'd eat like a horse, but not touch food anywhere but home. He didn't care about people at first, including me. When I'd had him about 6 months we took an obedience class for bonding and confidence. It didn't work. I would put his blanket down, he would lay on it immediately and when it was time to do anything in class, I'd have to lift him off his blanket. The second he was able, he was down again. Over the years he has become a pain in the neck, sassy, demanding brat. In fact, if I ask him if hes a brat, he barks at me. If anyone asks him to dance, he runs over and slams his thigh into them so they can rub his butt which makes him do a little dance. My friends who didn't know him then don't believe he was ever spooky. He still has some major fears. Most are sound related. Thunder, fireworks, gunshots, bouncing basketballs, and beeping all send him running for cover. Literally running for cover. I've seen him hiding under decks (one was only knee high!), pick up trucks, beds, coffee tables, chairs, end tables, bushes and once in a pet store he climbed into an empty spot on the shelf. He also has melt downs in public. Thankfully not nearly as often as before (it happened every time we were in public for the first couple years) and not as severely (i almost had to carry him to the car most times). We recently saw our first obedience trainer and she was completely shocked at his improvement. She said that she had been seriously worried about him at the time. A few months ago I decided to try obedience again since Bu liked to get involved in the training while I was working with Sailor. I didn't expect much, but Bu shocked me and seemed to love class. We are now in family dog 2 and I hope to do agility with him at some point since he loves watching dogs doing it. We had class tonight and Bu was doing ok at first, but then all I could do was watch as he melted down. He ended up laying under my chair shaking and wouldn't take any treats. After a few minutes I got him up and we went for a quick walk outside. When wer came in, he rejoined class and did a great job. If that had been a couple years ago, I would have had to half carry him to the car and he would have been a mess for a few hours once we got home. It's so hard seeing him that miserable. It's really a reminder that there are always set backs. I'm really proud of him despite/because of his shortcomings.

Thanks for sharing! My Henry was fear aggressive, then turned into a therapy dog. Watching his progress was such a rewarding experience. I don't think our bond would be as strong if we didn't have to jump through so many hurdles together. I have a soft spot in my heart for the shy ones.

One of mine was very shy when she first came to me. She now has her CGC, CD and all her Rally titles. I was scared to death in the ring but she LOVED it! She got her TDI several years ago although at 10 we don't do many visits due to her arthritis.

It is amazing what the shy dogs can do with time and patience!

Guest Clawsandpaws

That's awesome! My group should send you one of our extremely shy girls ;) I think it's amazing when I see a dog who used to be so shy, they couldn't even be walked, to being able to hang outside the crate at M&G's

I absolutely love the shy dogs. Sailor wouldn't even let me pet him when I got him. He still doesn't like strangers petting him 2 years later, but he sometimes "forgets" and I catch him on hikes walking next to someone who will pet him while they're walking. He used to just cower behind me in public and now stands waiting for strangers so he can do tricks for treats. It's kind of funny. Both he and Bu are black, shy and have some fear issues, but they are completely different. Different reactions, different fears, different needs, different motivation, different intelligence levels. Learning what makes them tick and how to help them is so rewarding.

Micah was, and is, shy and timid......he hurt himself in our backyard and we had to take him to the emergency vet and then every other day to our vet for a dressing change.......he actually sits on my vets lap when she sits on the floor with him and we change his dressings now and he doesn't struggle and his face no longer is so fearful....best bonus....he lets me brush his teeth! He has never growled, snarled or even lifted his lip to show any aggression. I think it's finally clicking.....he truly trusts us. He is a different dog since he injured himself....we're so sorry he cut himself in our own backyard, but have to admit, we are so happy to feel his trust in us!

Guest Isabella

This is so reassuring to read, Izzy isn't really a spook, but she is very timid and hides behind whatever she can if a stranger comes near and forget it if there is any loud noises. I have her enrolled in classes but they do not start until April and I am a little concerned about the trainer wanting to push to much. I will speak to him ahead of time and tell him what my expectations are. I live in a rural area so there aren't many choices !

This is so reassuring to read, Izzy isn't really a spook, but she is very timid and hides behind whatever she can if a stranger comes near and forget it if there is any loud noises. I have her enrolled in classes but they do not start until April and I am a little concerned about the trainer wanting to push to much. I will speak to him ahead of time and tell him what my expectations are. I live in a rural area so there aren't many choices !

Teaching "touch" really helped Sailor with his fear of people. He is food motivated though. I use clicker training and when his nose touched my hand, I clicked and gave him a treat. When we go out now, I always have treats and instead of people petting him, he does tricks for them and everyone is happy.