Breathing Hard.

Guest Isabella

Guest Isabella

Although Izzy was just at the vet last week for her Welcome to the Family Physical, I notice that she often breathes very heavy. The vet gave her a clean bill of health, except he thought she may have a slight case of tonsillitis , I just am wondering if Greyhounds in general breathe heavy. At first I kind of passed it off to nervousness but she seems to do it even when she is relaxed. Seems fine otherwise.

PS, this site has been a lifesaver for all my new sighthound mama questions!!

Guest IrskasMom

That's what we are all here for. My Morty , when he is deep sleeping and his Mouth is slightly open , he breathes qiet heavyly. I just never thought anything of it.

Do you mean deep breathing at a slow pace or sort of intense breathing with panting? Is this something she does at rest or more after exercise? Does she do it outside as well as inside? How warm do you keep your house?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Welcome to Greytalk!

My greys frequently start 'panting' when they're nervous, warm, stressed, or in pain. Or have to go to the bathroom. So yes, my dogs breathe heavy on occasion. There are lots of reasons, and most are harmless.

Enjoy figuring out Izzy's special signs that tell you what she needs or wants!!

Guest iclarkz

Our Evie does too -- I think she does it when she is excited/happy as well. I also think we keep the house a little warm for her (70 degrees.)

Take her pulse when she's doing it. If it's the same as her pulse when she's not doing it, then I wouldn't worry too much. If she's panting, then evaluate the environment. She's a fuzzy girl, so she might get warmer sooner than a regular greyhound. Has she just been exercising or playing? Even vigorous inside play can get them breathing hard.

Also sometimes mine will breath hard while they're dreaming - racing dreams, I think :rolleyes - or when they're excited - like before a w-a-l-k or going for a r-i-d-e.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly