"puppy Classes" Are They Recommended ?

Guest Isabella

Guest Isabella

My Staghound, Izzy. is almost 2 and has had very very little socialization. I would like to enroll her in puppy classes for the socialization aspect but I have been told that it can stress a sighthound out to have to do things such as sit and lay......I certainly do not want to stress her anymore than she already is and I really do not care at this point if she follows commands such as sit and lay but I really think she needs to be socialized, she is so nervous around new people and sounds, not so much around animals. Opinions?

544149_2984868357935_1168293628_n.jpg

Izzy and Chubby ( a 14 year old Schnauzer that I took in a couple months ago) These 2 have really bonded!

Edited by Isabella

Most puppy classes won't accept dogs that are over a certain age - usually around 6-8 months. You may be able to find a basic obedience or 'manners' class that can help with socialization. However, the value of group classes varies greatly based on the instructor and set up. You would definitely want to find one that is flexible and primarily relies on treats and positive reinforcement.

If your main goal is socialization, you can do that own your own if you have family and friends who are willing to help. Getting together in a small group for a casual outing with friends and their dogs may be a less stressful way to socialize.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Soon after I got Summer, I took her to a beginner's obedience class. The trainer was a wonderful lady who also owns one of the local pet stores. Like you, I wasn't there for obedience but for socialization and bonding. Since I had discussed that with her beforehand, she knew we weren't going to participate in anything which I felt was stressing Summer.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Isabella

yes she probably wouldn't fit in in a "puppy class" all 28 inches of her would probably scare the bejeesus out of the puppies ! The local kennel club has classes and there is also a private boarding/grooming/training that offers classes. I think I will give them both a call and see what their training technique is, I definitely want one that deals with positive reinforcement not correction. Lisa, that is a great idea to talk to them ahead of time so they understand what it is that I am wanting out of the class, which is just basically socialization, and if she happens to learn a couple things then thats an added bonus !

That's exactly how I approached it! -- anything other than socialization was a bonus! It also helped with her confidence, she was a bit of an omega at first.

The one thing we did do, which warmed my heart, was a "come" exercise. The little dogs were all picked up, the larger dogs all had to sit or lie down... and the instructor let Summer off leash on one side of the classroom and I was at the other, kneeling and encouraging her to come. Even though she was fearful and there was a bunch of scary rubber runners she had to traverse with weird off-breed dogs lurking on the sidelines... she chose to slowly come along and come to me! She overcame her fears, all because she wanted ME! Ever since then, she will do anything I ask of her. OMG, I love my girl.

I think taking Izzy to a class would be great. And if she is past nervous or a little fearful and gets more along the lines of terrified, you should be able to perhaps just lurk in a corner (we did that for a couple of classes) or, if it's bad enough, get a refund or reschedule. Definitely talk to them first, though.

Good luck!

Lisa B.

I take obedience classes with my boys. I started with Sailor for his confidence. It has really helped. All dogs can lay down, it may just take longer to learn. You and the teacher both need patience. As for sitting, most can do that as well. Bu can't, but thats because he had a hip injury and it seems painful to him. Sailor sits. It seems awkward for him so I don't ask him to stay in a sit. I did have Sailor for 1.5 years before we went to our first class, but that was probably best for him as he was a mess at first.

Guest Isabella

I wouldn't say Izzy is a mess but she definitely is skittish, had a rough start to life and needs to learn to trust. Classes don't start until April so that gives me a little more time for us to bond before starting. I just really think she would benefit being around more people. I just need to talk to instructors first as I know from past experience some instructors insist on your dog participating in all the activities and I doubt the local trainer has any experience with a Staghound or even Greyhound. I guess if it is not working out I can just quit going.

Katie is the first dog who I ever took to formal training classes, because she was a spook and I was looking for some way of getting her more comfortable out in the world. We have done Beginner's Fun and Games Obedience training around 4 or 5 times, and the intermediate class just about as many, and are now in our very first Advanced class. (Btw, chicken feet are magical! She is actually looking forward to class, and engaged during it, all because there is the possibility of getting chicken feet!) It's done a lot for her confidence, and I would recommend you do it, with some caveats.

You do want to find a good instructor. I chose the one I did because she had, in her past, taken a shy wolfhound to a title in Agility (don't remember which title), so I knew that she had experience with both sighthounds and shy dogs. Secondly, she allows people to come and audit class. I will admit that I have never seen anyone but me do that, but it gave me a chance to see what class was like before I put Katie into it. Third, she and I have an agreement about what we expect... I keep my expectations low, and she doesn't push. People at class are pretty used to hearing instructions like: "You are going to put your dog into a down-stay, pick up as many tennis balls as you can, walk your dog across the room and ask for a sit-stay, and then put the balls in the bucket. Except for Katie... she can just stand there." :) As she put it, if Katie came to class and did nothing but curl up next to the wall, she would at least have learned that it didn't kill her. (Which was exactly what Katie did the first class. The second class, I was thrilled because she actually ate cheese throughout the class, while curled up against the wall. There's a reason we did beginner's so many times!) And finally.... watch to see how the instructor handles the other dogs. What's the instructor/dog ratio? Are there assistants to help out? How do they handle reactive dogs? It won't do Izzy any good at all if the instructor lets a reactive dog go crazy around her. The place I go they have movable barriers so that they can put up visual barriers between dogs so that reactive ones don't go over-threshold and learn to tolerate being around other dogs and people. Does the instructor tailor the lessons to the different abilities of the dogs? Do the owners seem to like being in class? What kind of follow-up do they offer? (Mine will do free phone advice for the life of the dog! And I took shameless advantage of that when I was starting out... think I called weekly!) And finally.... do you like the trainer? Hopefully you are going to be developing a long-term relationship with the trainer, and it helps if you think that they are nice, and friendly, and you like being around them.

Hopefully that helps, and if you want more advice, I would be happy to tell you more about my experiences.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest Isabella

Katie's mom, That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, it sounds like my Izzy is a lot like your Katie! My problem is is that I live in rural Iowa and my options for trainers is going to be limited :( Izzy is such a sweetheart, she is just so very shy. I really need a trainer that is not going to push!

Thanks!

Guest FreeholdHound

I took Harry to basic obedience classes too (more for me than him I think). Although the instructor had quite the rep for being extremely tough (on humans) he had dealt w/ Greys before. Never pushed the Sit or Sit/Stay. I actually got a handshake when Harry say on command. I heard lots of "Now everyone ( fill in command) except the Greyhound". We shot to show off during the leash walking weeks :)

**sat on command** DOH!

People at class are pretty used to hearing instructions like: "You are going to put your dog into a down-stay, pick up as many tennis balls as you can, walk your dog across the room and ask for a sit-stay, and then put the balls in the bucket. Except for Katie... she can just stand there." :)

:rofl I remember the exact same thing!

Lisa B.

Print out Philosopher 77's post. let your instructor read it and ask if s/he can accomodate that kind of experience for izzy cause that really is bang on what you need.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I will add that, if it is at all possible, see if you can watch a class (without your dog). You said classes were starting in April, but if they have some going now, try and see what they are like. The kind of trainer you are looking for shouldn't have an issue with you coming and quietly watching. It's not like there's trade secrets you can steal! A beginner's class would be best, if possible, but any class will do, since what you are looking for is to see the trainer's style and methods.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest Isabella

Thanks for the info, unfortunately Dubuque is about 3 hours away and Urbandale 1 1/2 hours away, so any weekly classes would be difficult. The program in Dubuque looks awesome though!