Frequent Throwing Up

Guest joviemom

Guest joviemom

I wanted to see if everyone here has any ideas on how I can help my girl.

First I will start by saying she has been to a vet for this in the past and we are going back in a few days but I wanted to pulse you all to see if there is anything in particular I should ask about.

Jovie has an overly weak stomach. It took me six months to find a food she can tolerate and the slightest change in diet can send her into loose stools and obvious upset stomach.

If she eats milkbones or any hard treat she will throw it up in about 10 minutes, the one thing she can consistently handle that's a treat is hotdogs lol.

The other thing that causes her to vomit is drinking water. I feel bad because I watch her drink like a hawk and have to pull her water up because I know if she drinks just a little too much she will throw it all up. The past three days she has thrown up at least once a day from this (but is able to keep water down otherwise, this is why I made the vet appointment).

My girl is also a bit of a spook, can I can help but wonder if her being a naturally nervous dog plays into her stomach issues as well.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, anxiety can definitely predispose to GI issues. Is she regularly stressed by anything in her daily routine, or is she fairly relaxed in her familiar environment? If she shows signs of generalized anxiety on a regular basis, it may be worthwhile to consider anti-anxiety medication.

Have you tried Pepcid for her frequent vomiting?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Are you sure she's vomiting? Perhaps she's regurging.

Good point. The thought crossed my mind, but with loose stools and an upset stomach, sounds like there are some GI issues too. But maybe some of the other episodes could be regurgitation.

The way to tell the difference is that with regurg, the dog often doesn't show any warning signs - they just open their mouth and the food/water just comes out. More like a baby spitting up. With true vomiting, there's an abdominal component, often with retching and stomach contractions prior to the dog bringing something up.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Plummer my almost 13 year old has been vomiting frequently. I started to give him Pepcid in his breakfast and dinner. I also give him smaller meals of kibble with chop meat and rice. It seems that when his tummy is empty he throws up. Thankfully, his frequent vomiting has calmed down. The kibble I feed him is Iam's sensitive. Good luck.

Guest joviemom

Ok so this would actually be just regurgitating then! Thats exactly what happens, she just open her mouth and it plops out.

Her stools are hard now, it just took me a long time to get there and any minor change in her diet will cause her to have loose stools for a while.

Get an x-ray -- esophagus down to the stomach.

Hope it's nothing!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.