Advice Needed! Introducing New Dogs Into A Large Pack

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

My parents are short-term fostering 2 brothers from our group for a few weeks. Our group does not usually foster, and has a kennel instead, but they got a call for a large haul from Daytona plus Spring Break boarders and didn't want to turn anyone away. So, Haze and Santana are visiting the Kaiser Clan for a while!

We brought them home last night, and they've really done well. Last night was a lot of whining/barking/crying, but they've been better today. Since it was so late when we got home, we decided to let the brothers take some time to acclimate themselves to home life before introducing them to the pack. Our pack atm consists of 3 greys (1 is my boy, and we're visiting), a siberian husky, a golden retriever mix, and my grandma's visiting pomeranian. My parents 4 pack is very close and stable, and Teddi and my grandma's pom are well accepted members of the group. So far the only interaction between our pack and the fosters is visual through a sliding glass door and a little bit of sniffing through a baby gate (muzzles on). Both instances were very calm, with mutual tail wagging but no growls or barking.

We'd really like to do some introductions tonight. All I really know is to keep muzzles on all dogs (the pomeranian will be introduced later, separately as we don't know the boys' reaction to little dogs yet and it's not worth the excitement). I've heard to have them meet on neutral territory and that walking them together might help? Any advice? Should we have each dog meet the boys individually, should we do groups, should we do strictly one-on-one? We want to limit the amount of stress and excitement involved!

When I bring a new dog home, I take her for a walk with the others. Usually a neighbour walks the new dog and I walk four of mine. Then I put the first group away and bring out the second, and so on. I used to let them greet briefly at the start of the walk, but now I just start walking. There isn't really much interaction during the walk, but by the time we get home, they're familiar with each other. Inside the house, I limit the number that get to say hello at once, until the new dog has met everyone.

I've only brought home one new dog at a time, but I would guess that the same method would work OK.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest kkaiser104

Thanks for your advice! There are 3 of us, so we can (in theory) walk the whole pack minus the pom. I think we'll probably just do all the greys at once, and then the older two (sibe and golden retriever). Should we walk with muzzles or without?

If everyone is on leash, you don't need the muzzles, but they can't hurt. Don't worry so much, the dogs pick up on that. Honestly, if it were me and all your dogs are really good with other dogs and you are supervising, I'd muzzle the 2 new guys and just let them integrate minus the pom. Especially since they've been in the same house for 24 hours. But walking them together is good too.

Guest kkaiser104

Well, it went alright. Everyone but Snowy (our only female grey) pretty much accepted them. Snowy got a little protective over "her" bed, "her" water, etc.. We'll try it again tonight, and just pick up the stuff Snowy seems to have an issue sharing. I think she'll be fine as long as she doesn't think she has to protect all of "her things". They've seen the pom from behind a baby gate and she's terrified of them, but they didn't seem to care much. I think we'll wait until tomorrow for that introduction though.

Guest PhillyPups

Well, it went alright. Everyone but Snowy (our only female grey) pretty much accepted them. Snowy got a little protective over "her" bed, "her" water, etc.. We'll try it again tonight, and just pick up the stuff Snowy seems to have an issue sharing. I think she'll be fine as long as she doesn't think she has to protect all of "her things". They've seen the pom from behind a baby gate and she's terrified of them, but they didn't seem to care much. I think we'll wait until tomorrow for that introduction though.

There is a reason a female is called a biotch. :lol:lol

Guest kkaiser104

There is a reason a female is called a biotch. :lol:lol

I agree! The boys are all so calm. And the sibe and golden are girls, but they're old haha

Glad it went well. Hope Miss Snowy relaxes a bit, and the introductions to the Pom go well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)