Potty Un-Training?

Guest Norzy

Guest Norzy

So we've had Oliver for about a year and a half now, and we've had more potty accidents in the past 30 days then we have in the entire first year!

About a month ago, we fostered another grey for a week. She pooped in my office, and Oliver followed suit because I'm guessing I hadn't clean up the mess well enough (I was in a rush to get to work).

Two days ago, I found a random pee spot on the floor in the carpet in my office next to some books. Nothing was ruined. Just a soaked-in puddle of pee.

Tonight, I found a pee puddle in the other office. Oliver didn't give any indication he had to go out (no whines or whimpers, no pacing).

And also, he has consistently been able to hold it for 8 to 10 hours in the past without any issues so we only let him out like 3 times daily - I am really wondering what's going on? Are we somehow ignoring his potty signals or has something changed his understanding that now pottying inside is OK? It is pretty cold out this time of year but he hasn't had any problems going outside when we ask him to. Healthwise, he seems fine with no aberrant behavior or anything like that. What should we do???

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom!

Nora

Get him checked to rule out any medical issues. After that, it may be a matter of training as he may be doing it due to the other dog doing it...Did you use Nature's Miracle or some other enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell after the accidents? You may have to keep him on a leash near you so that you can correct him until you get past this stage.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Healthwise, he seems fine with no aberrant behavior or anything like that. What should we do???

Actually, this IS aberrant behavior and indicitive of a health problem!

Not always, of course, but a normally "dry" dog who starts using the house as a toilet is exhibiting symptoms. Please take him to the vet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest DragonflyDM

I had an issue with Boomer inappropriately peeing in the house, when I have never had a problem. It turned out that my girlfriend who was staying with me over the holidays left her sent everywhere. He was peeing (as it turns out after seeing the Vet and doing some investigating) to remark and reclaim his territory. Once I washed EVERYTHING, he stopped.