Protective Reaction?

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

This morning I saw something that Ive never seen from any of my dogs...They were all chewing away on marrow bones that we bought them yesterday when all of a sudden Tess did a Greyhound scream of death :yikes

Before I could even move Diago was up and over to her!

I know if you have a pack and one of the dogs has seizures the pack will attack that dog... Does this sound like he was going to attack her or could he have been trying to protect her??

It depends. Henry is very much the alpha, and he's also a seizure dog. So when he has a seizure, Truman usually goes to him and waits. There have been times that I've seen Truman lick his face after the seizure is over. I think Truman looks to Henry for reassurance and leadership, so it's almost like a "hey, is my brother okay??" response. Typically, I don't like to attach human emotions to dogs, but I do believe they form attachments and become protective of one another.

Guest zombrie

If one of mine scream they charge the screamer, particularly Mira (who would also charge the gate at Manny whenever he had seizures, we always kept him separated). Not in a protective way.

ETA they don't do anything about it, they charge and then just stand over the dog. If it persisted it might get ugly. I have no doubt Mira would attack a screamer, seizing dog, or sick dog. We are very careful with her. The others just follow her lead when Mira does this. When it's just the littermates, they don't blink an eye if one of them screams, which happens frequently because they are both babies lol!

Edited by zombrie

Like Brie says, all it takes is for one of them to scream and the others come running. I have had my entire pack try and attack my angel Saint. He was a seizure dog which is why he slept in a crate his whole life. He needed the protection because he would seize at night. The two times he seized during the day I had to put myself between him and the pack to protect him, even to the point of taking my foot and pushing Jilly Bean out of the way as she was trying to go through my legs to get him. All it takes is for one dog to attack and the others usually follow suit, at least that's been my experience.

She may have a sore tooth which she hurt while chewing, causing her to scream which in turn caused Diego to jump up and go to her. I'd watch, next time he may not stop, then again he may. They're dogs and you ever know.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Interesting. We only have two dogs, and they're very much companions. I would go as far as to say they have a little bit of SA from each other. Henry will pace and whine when Truman is at obedience class. Truman gets 10x more excited to see Henry after a solo vet visit than during our regular comings and goings. Brie and Judy probably have a different pack dynamic than I do because they have 3+ dogs. I would think the desire to attack a sick or injured dog is more dominant in a pack (i.e. preserving the health and wellness of the group). But I could be wrong about that too. Truman is a little abnormal anyway because he wasn't raised with a group of other greyhounds. Henry was pretty much his dad, he rarely challenges him. :lol

Brooke's playmate, a bulldog, collapsed and seized while they were playing one day. She just stood beside him and watched, even when it was over and he was still laying there. Perhaps it has more to do with the number of dogs at the time or personalities. Ben didn't even go over to check and see what was going on.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

This is interesting to me, especially since our grey plays with our friends' dogs and two of them, who are "brothers" (an American bulldog and a 12lb King Charles) play wrestle to the point where the little one gets hurt and yelps. Superbird always runs over, ears up, and stands RIGHT over him. We distract him at this point because we don't want it to lead to aggression, but he has always gone after noisy dogs, especially if they are also being "attacked" already. It never occurred to me that this was a common trait!