Can Greyhounds Tell "good" People From "bad" People?

I believe dogs can sense when someone is dangerous but Peyton cannot. When someone tried to break into my apartment while I was home, Peyton started wagging his tail! He just loves every one. :)

I've had dogs that could, but Patrick wasn't one of them. We'll see with Henry. I do agree that anytime my dog really doesn't like someone, I take that seriously.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest DeniseL

I haven't had that experience with my greys, but my non-grey, Maya, who I lost last year, was a great judge of character. I lived alone in the city, and because of my work schedule would walk her at strange hours sometimes. I always felt safe with her because she would stare down anyone who came upon us. She was also amazing at sensing if someone was "not right", maybe on drugs or drunk or something. There was a bar down the street and sometimes would have unsavory types around. She would go crazy, barking and growling. I guess she could just sense the negative energy. I never worried about anyone approaching me. But when she loved someone, she LOVED them. She was such a good dog. I miss her every day.

She also didn't care for my brother. He is just not a dog person and gets nervous and standoffish around dogs. Maya hated him LOL

Can't remember whether I ever told this story on greytalk or not, but several months ago, DH was away for work, and I woke up around 3am to three growling, barking hounds. They pushed the bathroom door open (which is connected by another open door to the rest of the house) and ran into the living room, growling and lunging at the front door. I peeked out the window and didn't see anyone on the front porch, but there was a car parked with its lights on in the middle of the street. The car didn't move for fifteen minutes or more, and my dogs were still aggitated, so I decided to trust their instincts. I called the non-emergency number for the police. I told them I thought someone might be having car trouble in my neighborhood and asked them if they could send a patrol car by. They sent THREE cars, and the driver failed a field sobriety test. They arrested him and searched the car, and apparently found a massive amount of drugs.

The way the dogs ran out of the room and lunged at the front door, I kind of suspect that the guy tried the knob while I was sleeping. In any case, the dogs seemed to know that guy was different. Our neighbor throws late-night parties, all the time, and they're never phased by people coming and going.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.