Best Bones/chewy For Teeth That Won't Upset Stomach?

Guest bongoboy

Guest bongoboy

Hi All

I've tried some bones to keep my dog's teeth cleaner but he always gets loose stools the next day. I know its not anything else as it only happens when we've tried the bones. Anything anyone can recommend to keep teeth clean without upsetting the stomach?

Thanks!

Donna

Are you doing raw bones or the kind from PetSmart that are already processed? We've had terrible results with anything raw (aside from chicken feet). The one time I got a bone from the butcher shop, Henry had terrible diarrhea for a week. But processed knee/knuckle bones go over fine here without any digestive issues. We also do the big rawhide rolls (made in the US) from Sam's Club.

Guest Eyeblaura

Rawhide doesn't go over well with Enzo. Raw bone is actually constipating so he does well with raw bones. We've only done poultry (turkey necks, chicken backs) which do an amazing job on his teeth. He does well with pig ears too but I don't think they offer much in the way of tartar control.

we like the sam's yams, too! also himalayan dog chews and antlers!

Just received the Himalayan chew. Sams Yams and antlers are high on our list too.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest rdoyle225

ook we get onkies from walmart they are made with pig skin they have clean up are greys teeth great we have only had a few day. they where yellowing now there getting white. they are swist not just the

Edited by rdoyle225

Occasionally we have Greenies. Usually stick with bully stix or raw chicken wings though.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia is almost 10 and never has had a dental and her teeth , especially the back teeth (molars?) are very very clean. She likes bully sticks and has been eating them for almost the 7 years she has lived here.

Just recently our local Petco started carrying fresh raw bones. They are in a freezer case. At 9 3/4 Leia, to the best of my knowledge, had her first bone. She goes insane for these. Licking out the marrow and gnawing off the cartilage has gotten her front teeth and canines pretty darn clean. She will be 10 in 3 months and has all her teeth too !

The Rachael Ray brand Soup Bones are great, sometimes I have a hard time finding them though, some stores just carry her dog food brand. You can send an email from the Rachael Ray site and ask for coupons and they will send you some and that brings the price down. I like Greenies too but only when they are on sale. Also CET brand dental chews are good too, most Vets carry them or you can buy online.