Behavioral Changes With Seizure Meds

a_daerr

Henry has been on Zonisamide for about six weeks, and amazingly, has had no seizures since starting the medication. I understand that this might be due to the "honeymoon" period, so I'm still watching him carefully. He goes in for routine bloodwork Friday to monitor his levels (mostly liver enzymes). Other than a slight change in appetite, we haven't seen any physical changes. Unlike many of the other seizure meds, Zonisamide doesn't have a whole lot of side effects.

However... I have been observing a noticeable behavior change in Henry. It's not necessarily a bad thing. He's acting like a puppy. He gets real excited for meals and car rides. He seems to have way more energy- wants to run and play more. He's playing with toys and initiating bitey-face with Truman. He's even started rooing and barking (unheard of!) when I say it's time for dinner. He's also MUCH more cuddly, and wants to lay next to me all the time. Prior to the seizure meds, he was exponentially more laid-back, shy, and reserved. While he can be silly on occasion, he's mostly very stoic and independent. This is why I'm a bit confused.

Is it more likely that his behavior change is a side effect of the medication... or is it possible he's just all around feeling better and not having seizures, so his true personality is coming out more often? I'm going to discuss with my vet later this week, but I just wanted to get an idea of what other seizure dog owners had to say.

And because I know the rules, here's a picture of happy, silly Henry.

759b2249-2371-4c38-9f89-ce1a33bcef4f_zps

I think he probably just feels a lot better. Once Saint stopped having seizures, he started playing also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I think he probably just feels a lot better. Once Saint stopped having seizures, he started playing also.

Thanks, Judy! That's what I was thinking too, but then I started wondering if Zonisamide could possibly have the same effect as thyroid meds... like the dogs who have a huge change (improvement) in behavior even if they don't really need medication. For now, I'll take it. I keep asking him, "Who are you, and what have you done with Henry??" :lol