Question - Compulsive Licking

Guest cloveralexis

Guest cloveralexis

My dog has been licking one spot on his back leg -- near the knee, I guess -- a LOT in the past week or so and it seems to be getting worse. It doesn't look infected, just a little raw. He woke me up three times last night licking it. Anybody have any suggestions for something I could put on it to distract/deter him? I guess probable causes include allergies (food? fleas?), dry skin, anxiety (he doesn't seem anxious at all, very mellow guy), pain. I've had him since October and have tried a couple of different foods d/t some GI issues (intermittent diarrhea), with no improvement overall, so maybe a hypoallergenic food would be good for him ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm... dogs with food allergies usually lick the base of their tail, paws, and bum. If he's currently doing well on the food and not having other issues (gas, diarrhea, swelling, ear issues) then I probably wouldn't assume food allergy. Flea allergies are usually accompanied by hair loss. If your sure there is no injury, it's possible that it's an anxiety-related behavior. You can try putting Bitter Apple on the area to see if that deters him. You may also want to try Iams green bag for the diarrhea. We used it as a last resort for Henry and saw an immediate improvement.

Guest sirsmom

Our vet said some dogs do this when they are bored and it becomes a habit. I would have it checked out, though to rule out an underlying medical problem.

Our vet said some dogs do this when they are bored and it becomes a habit. I would have it checked out, though to rule out an underlying medical problem.

I never really thought about it like this. I have a compulsive licker. She's an anxious dog in some situations. About a year ago I put her on prozac thinking the licking was a manifestation of her anxiety. (She has other issues that the prozac addresses). She still licks the same area. Maybe I should think of it as a habit rather than a behavior as a result of anxiety. I can't imagine she's anxious when she's home.

OP- you've been given great ideas to pursue including allergies or anxiety. Good luck

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)