Worms

Guest firegypsy

Guest firegypsy

Because I just need y'all to be grossed out with me. My girl was laying next to me tonight and I looked down and saw a bit of fuzz on her tail. I was waiting for my daughter to get something so I was just kind of watching her. That's when I noticed the fuzz was MOVING. Ugg. It was a large-ish white worm.

She has issues with licking her behind. I took her in and was told all was well, but she never really stopped. This is the first time I've seen an actual worm and it was NOT small people.

This happened at 7:30. Luckily they have late Thursday hours so I got ahold of someone. I'm bringing her in tomorrow and I'm kind of irritated that it's gone this long. I should have pushed harder and gotten some meds even though they assured me she was okay.

Now, for the practical side. Do I need to be stripping and bleaching the beds? Thanks for any help!

Guest firegypsy

After some fun evening reading it looks like a tapeworm infection. Poor baby. Hopefully they'll start meds tomorrow. I really dont' want to have to wait for a stool test.

They ought to. Make sure the meds you get are for tapeworms -- not all worm meds will treat common tapeworm; you need something that contains praziquantel.

Oh, and if it's tapeworm, you don't have to scrub or wash anything. Tapeworm requires an intermediary, the flea. No fleas, no tapeworms. Not transmissible directly from one dog to the next, dog to person, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Panacur will not rid the Dipylidium tapeworm. You need praziquantel for that.

Ditto! And, no need to worm the 2nd dog if it's tapeworms. They aren't catching from dog to dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest firegypsy
Drontal Plus! It's expensive. Like $30 a pill, but it works like a charm.

I'd also recommend washing all the bedding and cleaning up your yard really well.

she said if this didn't work then we'd do the Drontal. They're deworming both because they have a tendency to find feces I haven't cleaned up and eat it. Which is beyond gross, but they said it was a good idea to treat them both and that this would do tapeworms?

She said that Drontal will do more species of tapeworm, but that this was a good place to start. Argh.

Panacur doesn't treat common dog tapeworms. I'd call your vet back and raise a ruckus.

Yard cleanup doesn't do anything for common dog tapeworms. The common dog tapeworm is transmitted by fleas, not poop.

Washing bedding doesn't do anything for common dog tapeworms (unless you have a flea problem -- then washing up would help keep any new fleas from getting tapeworms to pass along to your dog).

If the worm was a roundworm rather than a tapeworm, then panacur would be useful and cleanup would be useful.