Bed Gaurding?

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Just looking for a little feedback. Our boy, Miami, has been barking and growling at us when he is sleeping on his bed in the bedroom. He does have some sleep startle but has been getting much better with it. This behavior ONLY occurs on his bed upstairs. At first we thought he was just getting startled awake, but now I think it is more of a space/resource gaurding situation. When we walk by or get up to use the loo at night he growls/snarls. Usually I just say his name and he stops. but he is doing it more often and is even starting to get up until I calm him down with my voice. Our bedroom is not big so space is limited. We have no other real space issues. He used to growl a bit when he would jump up on the couch, but we put an end to that. he realizes that the furniture is a privledge and is only allowed up with good behavior. But this is his bed.

Should we not let him in our bedroom? We can set up a room next to ours that we be just his, but I feel like that is not addressing the real issue.

Is there a way to desensitize him to us walking by him when he is on his bed? How do I let him know this behaviour is not ok?

Also, he lets us pet him/rub his belly/ play with him on his bed in the morning (which we do cautiously) with no problem. This behavior only occurs when he is going to sleep at night. Maybe because he feels more vulnerable going into a deep sleep?

I really like our hounds in our bedroom at night, but I don't want to be stupid about it, or set him up to fail...he does seem to like to be with us at night.

Here he is on his bed :wub:

Thanks!

IMAG1139-1-2_zps2570d2e4.jpgIMAG1004-1-2_zpsc312d220.jpg

Sounds to me like the sleep startle may be worse than you think.

Rocket has had sleep startle since he arrived. Normally walking past his bed in the middle of the night isn't a problem, unless he is in a deep sleep. I have had him start to growl when I get close enough to put a blanket on him. I don't think he is awake at that point but senses someone nearby. I usually just tell him it's okay, and he recognizes my voice. No more growling.

We make it a rule to not walk close enough that he might startle and be able to grab a leg. I often just say something like "hey buddy" when I'm walking by in the middle of the night and he doesn't react, but just keeps sleeping.

The two times he has bitten was when someone actually touched him while sound asleep. Both times his eyes were open, but he was sound asleep both times. Don;t let the open eyes fool you.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest DeniseL

He used to get startled ANY time he slept, upstairs, downstaris, bed, floor, etc... Now, it only seems to happen on his bed in the bedroom, which is why I was suspecting space gaurding...I even have thrown soft pillows/blankets on him when his is in the living room sleeping to try to desensitize him and he doesn't react (someone on here suggested it in another thread). Upsatirs in the bedroom, it is like a different hound. If I toss a sock on him he wants to go to war lol let alone walking past him...

Does he react like that at any time during the day so long as it's the upstairs bedroom bed? Or is it just at night?

And does he react only after he's been asleep for a few hours, or anytime on his bed?

I'm no expert, but with our grey he showed aggression to being disturbed on his bed when we first got him that was NOT sleep aggression. We could throw toys on him and he would just snap his head up and look around to see what hit him. However, if WE disturbed him (eg: brushed him while walking past) he would wake up and let out a deep growl. He's much better now. What we did was call him off his bed and then I would sit on his bed myself for a while and not let him on it until he gave up and went and lay somewhere else. Then I would let him have his bed back.

I think you could also remove his bed, and give him a different bed that he doesn't feel so attached to.

It sounds like he has a combination of both sleep startle and resource-guarding. Both are fairly common among greyhounds, and there are training methods for both.

If you're 100% sure that he's awake, and he gives other signals before the freak-out (growling, snarling), then you are correct. He is displaying some type of resource-guarding issue. Dogs resource-guard for a couple different reasons. It can either be territorial, fear-based, or a combination of both. If you think he is a fearful dog, I wouldn't start doing any type of training until he's settled in and you've developed a trusting relationship with one another. But if you've had him awhile and the behavior seems to be getting worse, not better, than it's probably an appropriate time to start a training program. For resource guarders, I recommend counter conditioning. You want him to be touched so much on his bed that (1) he starts understanding that it's no big deal, and (2) good things happen when he lets you into his "bed space." Keep in mind, this is a very GRADUAL process. Sit as close as you can without him growling and toss treats in his direction. Do this for a few minutes a couple times a day, then get closer the next day. If he accepts that, have him take treats out of your hand. Then graduate to treating while he's calmly accepting pets on his bed. Anytime he growls or shows aggressive behavior, stop the training session immediately and ignore him for ten minutes or so. Try again later that day or the next day. By walking away, it may seem like you're conceding and letting him "win." But keep in mind that when the session stops, the treats (rewards) also stop, and that's his "punishment." After a few weeks of this, he will begin to associate positive things with your presence near his bed.

Once he is accustomed to being touched on his bed, you can start counter-conditioning the sleep startle part. Wait until he's fully asleep, then try to gently nudge him (you can use an object like a broom handle). Other people on GT suggest throwing socks or other soft items in the same manner. If he has an appropriate response, toss him a treat. After doing this for a few weeks with a good response, try nudging him with your foot. If at any point, he becomes snarky and growls/barks, do not try to correct him. With sleep startle, your dog is not fully aware of his actions, therefore it is not appropriate to punish him. Another recommendation is to consider the location of his bed. Make sure that when you're doing the training, he has the ability to get up and walk away. Both issues can be exacerbated if your dog feels trapped or cornered.

Guest DeniseL

Thank you for the feedback. We have been treating him on his bed and tossing treats when we walk by his bed...the last two nights have been a little better :)