Voracious Poop-Eating Puppy

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Hey folks!

We have a 6 month old Borzoi puppy who has turned into a voracious poop-eater. It's bad enough that all she wants to do in the backyard is look for poop to eat. She is so obsessed, she is on our grey boys' poop as soon as it hits the ground (tht's right, she eats their poop while they're pooping!!). Because of that, she can't really use the backyard because all she does is look for poop to eat.

We've tried pineapple and pumpkin with no success. She'll eat her own poop, but she's not obsessed with it like she is with greyhounds' poop. And the weird thing is, she doesn't try and eat other dogs' poop at the dog park very often-- just our guys.

We're switching to a different food to see if that helps, any other advice? I really want her to be able to run around in the backyard for exercise (one of the reasons we moved to a place with a fenced backyard). What can we do to cure her fixation on fresh dog poop?

There are supplements available to help with dogs who are coprophagic. You have to give them to all the dogs in the household, then it's supposed to change the taste of the poop and subsequently deter the coprophagic dog from eating it. The downside is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I would try one of those first. Then if you don't have any success, she'll probably need a muzzle with a stool guard.

Guest cwholsin

Our grey Nash had a brief stint as a poop eater, but that was because he had worms. They're all on de-wormer, but maybe the intensity of response could be due to wormies? We are in between doses...

Oh yeah, worms could definitely be the cause. You'd most likely see other symptoms, like issues with poop consistency, appetite, etc. Deworm with Drontal Plus if you haven't already. If the coprophagia is the only symptom, then it would more likely be a behavioral problem. What kind of food is she on? There have also been links between high protein and puppy foods contributing to coprophagia. This also might help you: http://www.tbeah.com/coprophagia_dog.html

All 3 of mine wear poop guards. One of my girls will eat any poop, and all 3 will eat rabbit and cat poop when they appear in the yard. As a matter of fact, just this morning Penny pooped in my bedroom while I was in the shower, and was savoring it as I got out. She's free to a good home, if anyone is interested... (Truth in advertising forces me to add that she isn't reliably housebroken. I can usually pick up on her cues and get her out, but since she had pooped in the yard 2 hours earlier, I wasn't looking for cues.)

Some will stick their muzzles with stool guards in poop a couple of times before they figure out that it's going them no good and they will stop. I've used muzzles and stool guards with all of my poop eaters with great success. I had to clean Saint's off about 4 times before he realized sticking his muzzle in it was doing no good and he stopped. I would just catch him before he came inside and wash his muzzle off with the hose and then wash it with soap after I brought it inside.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest cwholsin

I think this is a good option, then! I don't think changing the taste will do much, so a stool guard may be what we need. I don't think it's worms either since she is otherwise robustly healthy.