Question About Tooth Slab Fracture (Iggy)

So Puzzle has a slab fracture in one of his back molars from eating a marrow bone :( I think it's been there about 3 months. The vet quoted me $600 for it to be removed :omg I almost passed out when I read the estimate.

I am wondering, do I need to do this right now? Or can I wait until it causes him problems? He already had a dental this year when he was under for surgery on his leg, and I hate putting him under anesthesia again for this one tooth when he doesn't even need the rest cleaned.

Would I be a horrible mom if I wait? If the vet hadn't noticed when I was getting him a health cert to travel with me, I wouldn't even know it was there. It seems like yanking out his tooth is going to cause the same pain for him either way, or am I missing something? If it needs to come out now, of course I will do it. Thanks in advance!

Is the pulp exposed?

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I always wonder how I would know if one of my dogs fractured a tooth since we feed bones.... It's not like I grab a flashlight and wrestle with them everyday to examine. If your iggy seems to not be in pain and still eating you could probably wait, but not too long. Dental pain is horrible for us humans. I would think it would be even worse in dogs

------

Jessica

Ok thanks!! He's the biggest piggy iggy in the world and that hasn't changed. I have been brushing and he doesn't show any signs of pain then either. I was kinda hoping I could wait until he needs another dental but maybe that it too long. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now. I definitely don't want him to be in pain!! Thanks so much! :)

Guest kkaiser104

I'm in the "if it's not necessary, don't do it" boat. If he seems to be eating okay, acting okay, etc., then I would not put him through anesthesia or the extra pain. Of course, if that changes, you should be prepared for it. Start saving your pennies now!

To help determine if the tooth is bothering him, pay attention when he chews (on things like bones, rawhides, etc) and see if he preferentially uses the other side of his mouth. We often see dogs with slab fractures who have a lot more tartar build up on the side with the fracture because they are mostly only chewing with the other side because the side with the fracture it is painful.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg