First Potty Accident Inside - Trying To Figure Out Why?

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

Hi everyone,

I've had my boy for about 8 months now and he's never had a single accident inside (well aside from one diarrhea episode) The other night, I woke up to go to the bathroom around 5 am and stepped in a wet spot on the rug. It was a big ol' puddle of dog pee. I turned on a light and saw that my boy was sleeping in a weird spot - on his dog bed. That's weird because he always sleeps in his crate at night (by choice) with the door open so he can drink water or get out if he pleases. He loves his crate a lot and has an emotional connection to it. He's never 'locked' in there unless I am at work, which is for his own good because he likes to get into things. Anyway, I saw him on his dog bed and he looked anxious, he was panting and seemed upset. I looked at his crate and saw that the door was closed. I'm not sure how it got closed, if I did it or he managed to do that somehow, but he seemed so upset that he couldn't get into his crate. I took him out immediately, of course, and cleaned up the spot, but I'm trying to figure out what happened.

Could it be that he was so anxious that he couldn't get into his crate that he had a potty accident? It was just so unlike him, and granted, he's only been with me for 8 months, so I can't yet determine his TRUE personality - though I have a general idea. I let him out before bed at 11 pm like always.

Anyway, some insight here would be nice, because I'm a little worried that perhaps I've given him too much freedom without truly knowing him. Or maybe he just had a little panic episode because he was locked out of his safe haven.

It could have been stress, if it happens again get him tested for a UTI.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sounds like stress, I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again and then agree with Macoduck.

I really think that after eight months, you know your dog! This idea that he isn't going to be who he is for a year or something seems silly. Any of us can encounter unexpected behavior in a new situation.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest karilynn

Great. Thanks both of you for the advice.

I like to think I know him pretty well, but then I hear things that their hounds personalities took over a year to come out! :o But I don't think it's like him to potty inside. In fact, whenever he's in a new situation, he is so stressed out that he WONT go to the bathroom for a long time. He stayed with a relative for a few days when I moved and he was so depressed and nervous, he didn't go potty for over 24 hours and he was taken out (according to my relative) at least every 2-4 hours. This was just such a surprise to me. I know it happens, though. I grew up with dogs. I remember the accidents and cleaning up pee every now and then. Thank god for Nature's Miracle! :)

IIFC, there was a story about a greyhound who was upset when their owners rearranged furniture in a room. When the owners figured out that this had caused the dog extreme stress they put the furniture back in the original position. And then proceeded to move it very slightly for many days, eventually reaching the final destination. :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png