Always Hungry

msjpk

My senior, 12 yrs old, seems to be hungry frequently during the day. Plummer is on Iams Natural food and loves it. I do mix it with more protein, chicken chunks, he eats breakfast, snack around 12:00pm and then dinner at 4:00. However, because he is only 65lbs. when he gives me indication that he is hungry, I feed him.

Has anyone experienced this with their senior?

Could it be some sort of parasite? He is on low dose thyroid meds now.

I was also was thinking of adding Ensure to his food to make sure he is getting enough supplements.

I would him to fatten up a little but he doesn't gain weight.

thanks

You could consider feeding him 3 times per day. If you haven't had a vet-check for parasites, you should. Worm are easy to pick up - and easy to treat.

If your're feeding the 2nd meal at 4 - and breakfast in the morning - that's a long gap. You could go to 2 feedings per day at 12 hour intervals. My suggestion would be 3 feedings per day at 8 hour intervals.

The most important question - is the dog loosing weight? if he's not loosing weight - and has no other "indications" of an issue - maybe he's just "bored" and asking for the "attentiion" of a feeding? If so - more exercise!

Guest grey_dreams

If he is becoming diabetic, he will be hungry all the time and not gain much weight with extra feeding. It's a simple blood test to measure blood glucose levels. Of course, there could be other things going on too, just wanted to mention this possibility for your consideration.

Guest 2dogs4cats

If he is becoming diabetic, he will be hungry all the time and not gain much weight with extra feeding. It's a simple blood test to measure blood glucose levels. Of course, there could be other things going on too, just wanted to mention this possibility for your consideration.

If he is drinking a lot of water, diabetes could be a concern.