New From Kansas

Guest ManyBlessings

Guest ManyBlessings

Hello!

I’m so excited to get my new grey! I’m not sure how long the process is. The rescue (MoKan Greyhound Adoption) has received our application and I’ve ordered the required reading (Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood prior to the home visit, with children under the age of 13, Living with Kids and Dogs...Without Losing Your Mind by Colleen Pelar). I hope to receive the books this weekend. I’m sure they will be quick reads as I probably won’t be able to put them down. We will get our home inspection after the reading from what I understand.

We have never had a grey, but have rescued various breeds through the years. Currently we have a 5 year old pug; she has one eye, from a rescue. We got our first puppy in over 12 years……a Bernese Mountain Dog, earlier this year. She is 9 months old now, and still creeps up into our laps. We had to euthanize our sheltie we adopted from the local shelter about 4 months ago (we adopted her 5 years ago and they estimate she was about 10-12 years old then) and I thought I would be OK with just our two dogs. Nope. Need another one! I love what I’ve read about retired greys…and I never want to start with a puppy again. I love the older rescues. So easy to integrate into your life.

We have two daughters ages almost 8 and 6. They have been raised with dogs, big and small. Our two dogs are both females. Has anyone had any problem with same sex aggression in greys? Should we be looking for a boy? Or does it matter? It seems to me they are fairly laid back. We hope to get matched with a grey that is playful enough to play with our berner, but not hyper. Our pug is not very active, but does enjoy a walk or some playtime. Both of our dogs are friendly and submissive. They love everyone, human or otherwise.

I look forward to reading in this forum as I wait to meet our grey. It will be interesting to hear about others’ experience and not only learn from the books.

Debbie

Guest KsFrets

Welcome from another Kansan! I don't think sex matters. We have two girls and one boy and sometimes foster, and go to play dates with many other greyhounds, and visit friends with greyhounds, and don't have problems either way.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Hello! My husband is originally from Andover, and I went to Kansas State! Welcome!

I think you should let the adoption group direct you to dogs that fit your lifestyle. Then meet those dogs and let the your dog choose you.

Guest ManyBlessings

I like the idea of letting the dog choose. I love looking at all the different colored greys too. It seems no two are alike. I have always had female dogs.....at least for the last15 years. I would be open to a boy if that was the right fit. Are they usually easy to housetrain?

We are near Lawrence. KU and KST are doing to have a FB game in Manhattan Saturday. I will be watching from my couch :kickbutt

Welcome! My sister used to work in Lawrence and my bro now lives in Topeka. Be sure to share some pics of your new baby. :)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest ManyBlessings

I sure will! I am anxiously waiting for the adoption person to call me. It's like sitting here not being able to speed up the process is agonizing :seesaw

Guest undergreysspell

Welcome ! I'm in Florida but my husband is a jayhawk ! We adopted our first grey in Feb and she is absolutely wonderful with our almost 14 y.o. mix. At 6, she's calmed down but still playful with her stuffies and runs zoomies around the yard. I'm so happy they matched us with an older dog and I wish you luck in finding your perfect match !

Guest ManyBlessings

Do your greys play "nice" with stuffed toys or tip them to shreds? Our Berner is not allowed toys with stuffing because she promptly unstuffs them. I understand the zoomies! I can't wait to see the two of them zipping around the yard together.

Guest undergreysspell

Gracie's not too hard on the stuffies but she does periodically chew off an ear or a leg and pull out some of the stuffing...I just stitch them up and give them back ! Most of the time she just throws them around and squeaks and pounces on them.

Guest ManyBlessings

What a sweet picture of Myka and Babar. We get the stuffless toys and they have been great. I'll try a few more supervised and see how they work. Are greys prone to "guarding" toys or food?

Do your greys play "nice" with stuffed toys or tip them to shreds? Our Berner is not allowed toys with stuffing because she promptly unstuffs them. I understand the zoomies! I can't wait to see the two of them zipping around the yard together.

I call it the killing field outside some days when I walk around picking up stuffing to put in the bin

• 5 weeks later...