Severe Flea Allergy In New Foster

BellaBean

Ok greytalkers I need some advice, my new foster that I just picked up today is just in awful shape. Poor guy has a sever flea allergy and has major bumps, hair loss, and scabs from scratching all over. The vet has prescribed him cephelaxin. I got him home and gave him a good bath, but he is still really itchy. My question is: Is there any good topical ointment I can put on him to help sooth him and make it more bearable?

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Did the vet recommend anything for the itching? In addition to treating the fleas and the secondary skin infection, dogs with flea allergies really need something to address the allergy itself. You can try Benedryl to see if that helps, but I find that most severe cases respond best to a short, low-dose course of prednisone.

For most greyhounds, I would just start with 50 mg of Benedryl (two regular 25 mg tablets) twice daily. Typical dose for Benedryl is 1 mg/lb every 8-12 hours, but I usually don't go over 50 mg per dose unless it's a giant breed dog. There are also various anti-itch shampoos, usually with either hydrocortisone or pramoxine as the active ingredient, which can help provide temporary relief.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Cathie, wmlcml6 has had a lot of success with Coconut Oil. One of the girls had severe flea dermatitis and she rubbed it on, plus put a bit in her food. It really helped with the itching and redness.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thanks guys! The vet told us to have him take the antibiotic and if its not improving by the time we bring him in next week for his neuter then they will give him some steroids. I tried the coconut oil and it help out a lot! Poor guy is just ate up :( I hate to see it, but glad we got him before it was allowed to get much worse! I'm going to try the benedryl tonight.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest FrankieWylie

Cathie, wmlcml6 has had a lot of success with Coconut Oil. One of the girls had severe flea dermatitis and she rubbed it on, plus put a bit in her food. It really helped with the itching and redness.

I didn't know this about coconut oil! I use it to cook with, but I will for sure be rubbing some on Magic! We also use the Aveeno anti-itch stuff, and today, after their baths it seemed to help out a lot. I haven't noticed either boy itching or scratching!

Guest grandmagrey

When our Snowy had dermatitis, we tried cortisone and benadryl both oral and topical. Didn't seem to do much. I Had some bag balm here for another dogs hyperkeratosis. Checked w our vet who said "it won't hurt, but prob won't

do much". Well, bag balm strikes again! By day 2 the lesions from scratching were less red, the hot areas were cooling and the scabbed areas were softening. She seemed more comfortable. Bag balm seems to be a cure all for Snowy's skin sensitivities. She gets red spots alit for no apparant reason...i rub a little bag balm on, and the next day the spots are better.